Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Random results while renaming fields

MelanieR
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I built a workflow that aims to rename fields thanks to questions ask to the user.

Indeed throught list box tools, user is able to match the fields of his input with the "official" ones.

The problem is that when testing with different output (fieldnames modified), the results are differents. Indeed, according to the input file I am testing, all the fields are correctly updated or just some of them. I do not manage to understand what's wrong. I would really appreciate an help on that.

Please find the workflow and some inputs I used.

Please let me know if more details needed

Melanie

15 REPLIES 15
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @MelanieR ,

I have a few questions about your process.

1. Will this workflow be uploaded to server?

2. Is it possible for the file not to have all columns?

3. The idea is to rename all columns to the ones suggested, right?

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

MelanieR
7 - Meteor

Hi @fmvizcaino ,

Please find my answers below:

1) Not sure yet on that point. 

2) The principle is that all source files (then data flow) can have a different structure (different fieldnames and different field positions).

3) And you're right, the idea is to rename all columns of the input with the ones suggested.

Melanie

GiuseppeC
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @MelanieR,

Hoping that I was able to understand the problem correctly, I think the issue is in the configuration of your Dynamic Rename tools. In particular, you will need to check the Dynamic or Unknown Fields box to solve it (see below). If you leave it unchecked, as it is now in your current workflow, effectively at run time the formula is not being applied to any of the fields.

GiuseppeC_0-1576666804727.png

Hope this helps!

Giuseppe

MelanieR
7 - Meteor

Hi @GiuseppeC,

Thank you for your feedback. The "Dynamic or Unknown Fields" box is already checked on my workflow. It might be unchecked when installing or because we using different versions of Alteryx. Strange.

Thanks anyway for your time!

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @MelanieR ,

If you don't need to use specifically an analytical app, here is an example showing how to get what you need done with a macro.

Let me know if this works for you.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

MelanieR
7 - Meteor

Hi @fmvizcaino,

Thank you for this  sent. Unfortunately, I am using an older version of Alteryx (2019.3) then I cannot see your macro. Could you try to send me a print screen of it in order to see how it looks like?

Melanie

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @MelanieR ,

I updated the macro to open in previous versions. Check if it is opening now.

If it doesn't work, I send you some screenshots.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

MelanieR
7 - Meteor

Hi @fmvizcaino,

I can open it but the only thing I see is:

MelanieR_0-1576681098651.png

Then if you could send me some printscreens?

Melanie

GiuseppeC
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @MelanieR,

it's difficult to troubleshoot what the problem is while looking at a different workflow, but just in case you are not aware of it, you can use the Debug mode to test what values are passed from the app interface to the workflow (see below).

Designer > View > Interface Designer > hit the magic wand icon on the left hand side > input values > Open Debug. This will create a new standard workflows with the actual values coming from your inputs.

GiuseppeC_1-1576681100824.png

Hope this helps!

Giuseppe

Labels