Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

RESTful API - using POST to upload a file

jjordan
6 - Meteoroid

Hello all -

Has anyone been able to successfully utilize the download tool to upload a file to a RESTful API?

I've been able to POST to an FTP/SFTP, but I cannot seem to figure out how to make this POST command works.

Here's the 30,000ft view of how the API I am connecting to works:

- POST a file of names and address

- Utilize GET commands to perform various actions on the file/download results.

I have been able to set everything for the GET commands and return data successfully within both Alteryx and POSTMAN. However, I have only been able to execute the POST/upload in POSTMAN.

I've attempted converting the CSV file to a Blob and including/not including it in the Payload, but get the same error message.

In Alteryx I simply get an error returned: {"success":false,"message":"ERROR·Submitted·file·path·does·NOT·exists"}¶

Anyone have successful examples I can look at?

33 REPLIES 33
jdsmith777
7 - Meteor

I took the base64 strings and the filename and fed them to a macro. In the macro, I convert the base64 strings back to a BLOB with the BLOB Convert Tool. The BLOB is then fed directly to the Download tool. I also passed the filename and filesize to the Download Tool through Control Parameters that are set to replace the current value of the filename and filesize with the value that is being passed to it. I did it that way because I was working with a group of files that all had different names.

Tingjitsu
6 - Meteoroid

Hello jdsmith777,

could you share the macro you build. seems like this solution can help me solve this issue.

Thanks a lot. 

jdsmith777
7 - Meteor

Here are the example workflow and Macro. If it helps you, please hit the like button.

NicolasSz
11 - Bolide

I think @RohitChopra is right and there are still no solution in 2023.

@RohitChopra wrote:

Hi, 

I have already raised the exact same issue with all the screenshots here: 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Not-able-to-Upload-both-File-and-Data-...

I have tried a lot of combination over the download tool but ended up using the Python Script i have created in the above discussion. 

As far as I understand the Alteryx Download tool is able to support Posting form Data only or Posting a file only however, Posting File+Data is not feasible with the Download Tool.   

As far as I understand the Alteryx Download tool is able to support Posting form Data only or Posting a file only however, Posting File+Data is not feasible with the Download Tool.   

Labels