Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

REST API PUT Help

JPMelnitsky
7 - Meteor

Hello Community,

My team has been working on getting access into some of our systems using a REST API. I am able to get parameters that I need in order to refresh the output, but passing them through using the PUT option is giving me some trouble. I have a colleague who was successful in doing so using Python, but I haven't had the same outcome. To my knowledge I need to pass it through with the blob tool, but I never have used that before. I am wondering if anyone has played with something similar. 

Thank you,

Justin

5 REPLIES 5
ivoller
12 - Quasar

I have used PUT to update tables in Smartsheet via their API. For the Blob fields it was really a question of using JSON or other tools to create the correct JSON structure and then Blob Convert to create the Blob field. My biggest issue was making sure I understood the API requirements for the Headers and Payload before making the API call. I found it very useful to look at the API documentation and try with cURL or Python first to make sure I was getting everything right.

What sort of issues are you seeing?

JPMelnitsky
7 - Meteor

I keep getting a 100 Continue error.

It is just confusing because I am using the same call that we use in python where it works, so the only difference I see, is the Blob tool.

ivoller
12 - Quasar

Does the API documentation provide examples of doing the same thing with cURL? This helps to ensure that the headers, payload etc are identical.

koldmunch
5 - Atom

Hi,

We also struggled performing HTTP PUT using the Download Tool and Blob.

Using the option "Custom..." for the HTTP action in the Download tool worked for us.

Screenshot 2019-05-08 at 16.20.22.png

JPMelnitsky
7 - Meteor

@koldmunch This worked, thank you for solving this for me!

I really appreciate it, as its been a struggle for months!

Labels