Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

REPLACING VALUES IN A COLUMN INTO A NEW DATA

dunkindonut7777
8 - Asteroid

Hi, I would like to know if how to replace the values under account type column particularly the OTHER INCOME (EXPENSES) text. I want to replace the test "OTHER INCOME (EXPENSES)" into REVENUE.

From this:

G/L acctACCOUNT TYPEACCOUNT SUB TYPE
1OTHER INCOME (EXPENSES)OTHER INCOME (EXPENSES)
4OTHER INCOME (EXPENSES)OTHER INCOME (EXPENSES)
5EQUITYTOTAL EQUITY
6EQUITYTOTAL EQUITY

to this:

G/L acctACCOUNT TYPEACCOUNT SUB TYPE
1REVENUEOTHER INCOME (EXPENSES)
4REVENUEOTHER INCOME (EXPENSES)
5EQUITYTOTAL EQUITY
6EQUITYTOTAL EQUITY

Can you help me with this one please?

4 REPLIES 4
vizAlter
12 - Quasar

Hi @dunkindonut7777 — You can update the values by two tools/tricks, see below along with attached workflow:

1) Use a "Formula" tool if you want to replace just one or two or very limited text (like you have asked for just one value):

vizAlter_0-1610910887315.png

2) Use a "Find Replace" tool if you want to pass a list of values to replace:

(Note - This tool works only with String data types)

vizAlter_1-1610911012529.png

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @dunkindonut7777,

I am not an expert but for my best knowledge, the first solution proposed by @vizAlter should work faster.

I would suggest using the second option if you would have many positions that you want to replace. Thanks to that it would be more convenient for you to maintain the workflow. 

dunkindonut7777
8 - Asteroid

Thank you for your help! 🙂 It works but there's another issue I want to ask,  how about this one:

I want to change the "Revenue" into "Expense"

From this:

ACCOUNT TYPEACCOUNT SUB TYPEACCOUNT CLASS
REVENUEOTHER INCOME (EXPENSES)OTHER INCOME
REVENUEOTHER INCOME (EXPENSES)INTEREST EXPENSE

to this:

ACCOUNT TYPEACCOUNT SUB TYPEACCOUNT CLASS
REVENUEOTHER INCOME (EXPENSES)OTHER INCOME
EXPENSEOTHER INCOME (EXPENSES)INTEREST EXPENSE

sazit
6 - Meteoroid

Hi clodelegonzales,

Similar to the solution provided above, you can use a formula tool to change your value of the field based on any condition.

For your case it seems to be the case that if ACCOUNT CLASS is "INTEREST EXPENSE" then ACCOUNT TYPE should be EXPENSE else, you should leave the value as is.

So you can create a new formula tool to update the field ACCOUNT TYPE with the following statement:

IF [ACCOUNT CLASS] = "INTEREST EXPENSE"

then "EXPENSE"

else [ACCOUNT CLASS]

ENDIF

Labels