Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

REGEX - how to Tokenize numbers "starting with" certain numbers

ELPC
8 - Asteroid

Hi all, 

I have a Text column where PO numbers are entered into with some description of the project.  This text field can have multiple PO numbers and project descriptions.  I am trying to extract out just the various PO numbers and then taking only the last one entered.  My PO numbers can start with 4400XXXX, 4500XXXX, 4600XXXX, 4700XXXX, 4800XXXX or 4900XXXX.  I was able to use RegEx to tokenize each number sequence in one tool but that means I have to use 6 tools to get the 6 sequences. 

I used this expression for the first sequence:  ([4][4][0][0]\d+)  

Is there a way to write the expression so I do not have to use 6 separate tools or is there a way to do it in a formula tool?  Thank you.  

4 REPLIES 4
ehughes
9 - Comet

Hi @ELPC 

I would use the following expression:

4[4|5|6|7|8|9]00\d{4}

It picks up the 4 for the first digit, then the second digit has to be 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 or 9, that's followed by two zeros and then any 4 digits after that.

Hope that makes sense and hope it works for you

ehughes_0-1607644678011.png

ELPC
8 - Asteroid

Thank you so much!  That worked!  I knew there had to be an easier way.  Didn't know you could use the pipe to break them out like that.  Learned something new.  

ehughes
9 - Comet

Awesome! I still have a lot to learn about Regex myself 😊 But using the pipe as an 'or' operator can be so useful so I'm glad I could share that

joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Just a tip here. You actually don't need the pipes. Just put them all in a list with brackets 😉 Also don't need the "00" as you push to the d{6} digit search 😉 

So you could also use this: 4[456789]\d{6}

joshuaburkhow_0-1607694827297.png

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
Labels