Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

REGEX and padding

pcatterson
11 - Bolide

I'm trying to learn REGEX and I was wondering its usefulness with dates.

I have some hypothetical dates I want to convert to Alteryx's Date format.  Currently I'm using this formula:

REGEX_replace([Field1],'(.*?)/(.*?)/(.*)','20$3-$1-$2')

I don't know how to pad the left of the day and month portions.  Is there a way?

Starting Date Current Conversion  Desired Conversion 
 2/3/16 2016-2-3 2016-02-03
 2/13/16 2016-2-13 2016-02-13
 12/3/16 2016-12-3 2016-12-03
 12/13/16 2016-12-13 2016-12-13

I'm sure that there are some great macros that convert dates, but i am only doing this to teach myself the how i can better use REGEX.

8 REPLIES 8
RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

RegEx is really useful, but you might want to take a look at the DateTimeParse function that you can use in a Formula tool. If you go to Help for DateTime Functions, this can sometimes be easier. It can natively output the way you want it.

I keep playing with ways to use RegEx because I'm trying to continue to learn it as well, but figured I'd mention what is native to Alteryx as well. Smiley Wink

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@pcatterson,

I'm sure that someone ( @RodL or @jdunkerley79 ) will come up with some awesome RegEx statement for you.  I've played with it and found another way to solve it (avoiding the use of date macros):

'20'+ getword(replace([date],'/',' '),2) + '-' +
padleft(getword(replace([date],'/',' '),0),2,"0") + '-' +
padleft(getword(replace([date],'/',' '),1),2,"0")

There are so many ways to solve problems that it is sometimes fun (in a geeky way) to show alternatives.  

Have a great weekend,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@MarqueeCrew,

You are making some rather incorrect assumptions if you think I would be one to come up with "awesome RegEx". What I can do only extends as far as how well a Google search works. Smiley LOL

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

@MarqueeCrew challenge accepted ... but not necessarily successfully completed :)

Regex_replace('0' + Replace([Starting Date], '/', '/0'), '0*(\d\d)/0*(\d\d)/0*(\d\d)', '20$3-$2-$1')

This will do it in one fo(w|u)l sweep.

Basically it guarentees all numbers are at least 2 digits (by adding 0 always)

Then regex grabs the last two digits and moves around to required position as per OP.

pcatterson
11 - Bolide

Thanks so much, thats the guts of what I need.

One small correction:

Regex_replace('0' + Replace([Starting Date], '/', '/0'), '0*(\d\d)/0*(\d\d)/0*(\d\d)', '20$3-$1-$2')

The month and day were reverse above in the earlier one.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@jdunkerley79,

I like it.  A minor point, but unlike the English we express dates here in the format of month before day.  I see your attempt to re-colonize us and reject the offer.

By the way, I was informed at inspire that the community was creating a "no Frisch" Friday policy.  I am apologizing within this thread for my inability to resist answering questions (even when regex isn't my specialty).

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Eh...I don't think that "no Frisch Friday" policy was voted on by the community, so for my two cents, I'll take your input ANY day of the week!  Smiley Wink

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
Sorry yes am British so days first in my head, though as I am very strange tend to think in YYYYMMDD most of the time.

@MarqueeCrew: If you having Fridays off then in the spirit of fair competition should do the same
Labels