Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

REGEX Lat/Long Formatting Help

ijurgensen
7 - Meteor

Gooooood Morning!

I have a series of lat/longs formatted as the following, each unique location is a single cell in the same column: 39.377468N 77.407287W

I need to get these formatted to two separate columns as: 39.377468 and -77.407287 (ie removing the "N" and "W", splitting these into two columns, and adding a "-" to the longitude value)

Is REGEX the right tool for this? I've never used it, and looking up the syntax was a bit overwhelming.

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@ijurgensen ,

Here is help by explanation:
I see a space as a delimiter.  Using the Text to Columns tool, you should be able to convert the single field into 2 fields.  ReplaceChar([Field],"NSEW")  will remove the offending letters.  But those letters represent Positive (N, E) and Negative (S, W) values.  Before you delete the letters, you should add a "-" as a prefix to the value when it is S or W.

Those are my thoughtful tips.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @ijurgensen 

I actually like to use the Formula tool when I am doing RegEx. You can create two new fields, one for Lat and one for Long. Then try using the Regex_Replace() function. For the pattern, use parenthesis to group the parts of your string and identify those pieces you want to keep. 

Here is a good website that will help you to practice RegEx: https://regexr.com/ 

ijurgensen
7 - Meteor

Thank you both! I'm working through solutions now. Much appreciated!

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@ijurgensen 

here is my "slow" version comparing to the one from @MarqueeCrew 
The ReplaceChar is brilliant!

0315-ijurgensen.PNG

Labels