Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

REALLY basic question to replicate "COUNTIF" in Excel

TaniaC
7 - Meteor

OK I know I am missing something very simple here, but just can’t work out how to do it!

Attached is the type of table I am working with. I have training courses as columns, and each individual learner has a status for each course (“Complete”, “In Progress”, “Not Started” and “Not Required”). For each column, I want to total the status (don’t need a link to each learner, just the total “Complete”, “In Progress” etc. for each course).

In Excel I would use a “COUNTIF” function for each status for each column, but I can’t work out how to make Alteryx do this automatically in a workflow. Tried all sorts of summation and calculation tools but just can’t my mind around how Alteryx wants me to do this. (Also, ultimately I will be outputting to Tableau to create the chart like attached, so also open to any kind of suggestions that just get Tableau to do it instead  😉 )

Looking to the wonderful Brains Trust here to help me work out what (entirely basic) function I am missing! Many many thanks in advance 😊

TC

6 REPLIES 6
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@TaniaC 
I think the missing puzzle piece is the Transpose Tool.

0425-TaniaC.PNG0425-TaniaC-1.PNG

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @TaniaC 

Here's a way you can go about it

danilang_0-1619349253122.png

Transpose your data so that it becomes a pair of course name and completion status columns.  Summarize to get the subtotal for completion type and totals for each course and the join on course name.  Add a formula to calculate the percent.

Dan

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@danilang 
I guess I will not miss too much this time 😁

TaniaC
7 - Meteor

Thank you @Qiu and @danilang - I wish I could claim that I would have eventually worked that out myself, but there's no way, so I really appreciate you taking the time to help me - does exactly what I needed 😁

Cheers both!

TC

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@TaniaC 
Glad to help and also would appreciate if you could also may reply as accept? 😁

TaniaC
7 - Meteor

Oops - thought I already had! Done now 😁

Labels