community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

R configuration window error

Alteryx Partner

I've installed most up-to-date Alteryx version (10.1.7.12188) and the predictive tools with R v.3.2.3

When I drag an R tool to the canvas and try to type in R code it gives me a localized error messagein Turkish (I'm using a TR version Windows)

and doesn't show anything in the configuration window whatsoever...

However  

• R works fine and
  • the workflow works fine producing expected results...

So just I cannot edit or input R code... 

P.s. I really can't understant the error message, probably it's a google translate of the original error message..

Picture1.png

ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Could you shre the message text?  (As a wild guess, make sure you're doing both Admin version for Alteryx and the Predictive Tools, or both NonAdmin, as possibly that could make a difference).

ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I googled the message and it's basically this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/328560;

(googling the Turkish had a URL with tr-tr in it rather than en-us... changing the URL was better than using Google Translate).

So, basically it's the old: "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation"

There's still an outside shot that it simply isn't finding the R tools at all; the Admin installer puts things in Program Files, whereas the NonAdmin version puts things in User/Local (or some such)... it could explain this sort of error (e.g. Admin Alteryx won't find NonAdmin Predictive tools and vice versa, I don't think), so is worth checking.

Alteryx Partner

I had Admin install x64 and R tools were working as imntended no issues,

Uninstalled it and re-installed a nonadmin version, still the same case...

Now the issue may be dure to .net so I'll try reinstalling that.

Will let you know the result...

Alteryx
Alteryx

@Atabarezz, did you have a version of the R 3.2 series already on your machine to which you installed packages? If yes, you may have an old version of a package in your presonal R library which is causing a failure in loading the name space of a package that Alteryx relies upon. By default, R first looks for packages in the user's personal library, and then goes to the system packages (which are the one you installed with Alteryx). As a result, if you have duplicate versions of the same package, it will use the one in your personal R library. Your personal R library should be C:\Users\<your user name>\Documents\R\win-library\3.2\

Dan

Alteryx Partner

Hi Dan,

I have had 3.2.3 installed already, then I had Alteryx with predictive installed on top.

Uninstalled everything regarding Alteryx and R, cleaned relevant files and registry, restarted computer,

did a clean installwith (predictive with R 3.1.3)  but the problem persists...

[edit 1] Then I've upgraded to predictive tools with R 3.2.3, no change in status.

[edit 2] Because Microsoft mentions a .net error, I've installed .net 4.6.1 no fix again... 

Alteryx runs, R runs and produces results but still can't see the config it's whiteout.

I'm going to demo R usage to a corporate client and right now can't...very sorry...

Picture1.png

Alteryx
Alteryx

@Atabarezz, we have not seen this error before. What we need to do is see if we can replicate. The error is not between Alteryx and R, or on the R side in terms of package name collisions between different versions of a package. Rather, it seems to be an issue with the R tool itself. We are in the process of digging into this.

Dan

Alteryx Partner

I've updated windows 8.1 with latest packs to see if I was missing anything... no fix.

Then I walked the last mile, now I have windows 10 installed... still no fix...

(probably the next step is formatting and starting from scratch)

Very strange, isn't it?

Alteryx
Alteryx

It is very strange. The closest incident I've seen to this was back when I was a university professor, and some students in that class were having really strange issues with the software we were using in the course. The students who had the problem all had their Windows machines setup to use Simplified Chinese as the language. There were no problems with any other languages (including Classical Chinese). I'm wondering if this might be a similar situation, except involving Turkish rather than simplified Chinese. It is a long shot, but it is one thing I can think of.

Alteryx Partner

Any fix soon on any updates on this,

Is there anything I can provide, log files etc. to clarify the issue?

Labels