Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

R Tool throwing error: "The R.exe exit code (3221226505) indicated an error"

tinocg011
5 - Atom

I have recently installed Alteryx Designer x64 version 2021.4.2 nonadmin and also RNonAdminInstall_2021.4.2.05617.exe

When I run the R Tool alone with or without any R coding the following error appears:  

R (1) The R.exe exit code (3221226505) indicated an error.

If I do the same in my previous desktop version 2020.3.9 with R 3.6.3 there is no problem. Any clue on what to check? Desktop Designer is running on windows 10

3 REPLIES 3
AndrewSu
Alteryx
Alteryx

@tinocg011 , the most recent version for 2021.4 is 2021.4.2.40860.  Please try downloading the corresponding non-admin files and try installing again to see if that works. 

see screenshot below. 

AndrewSu_0-1665256654292.png

If this helps resolve your issue, please mark this post as the solution so that other's in the community can benefit from our collaboration. 

Thanks. 

jsandona
7 - Meteor

Hi @tinocg011 - I am running into the exact same error message you were last year. Do you happen to recall how you were able to resolve it? I've confirmed versions, have tried uninstalling/re-installing, installing directly from CRAN, etc. but continue to receive the same error. Any insights you may be able to provide would be appreciated! Thank you.

tinocg011
5 - Atom

Hi, yes after the examination of a process monitoring file I provided to the scalation team, I asked my internal IT support to whitelist the R excutables as in the transcript showed below. With that the issue was solved, hope that also works for you! 

Hi there Gerado,

Thanks for providing us with the process monitoring file. It is very helpful for us seeing what is happening when trying to execute that workflow. I have had this reviewed by our escalations team, and will provide the results below here:

_We looked at the logfile, and when Alteryx tries to start R.exe, MsMpEng.exe, also known as Microsoft Antimalware Service Executable, starts scanning._
 __ 
_Then, it appears that is starts up MsSense.exe, also known as Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection Service Executable, becomes active._
 __ 
_After this, we are seeing some instances of R attempting to open certain files and those files become locked._
 __ 
_It appears they may need to whitelist the following files in Windows Defender:_

_C:\Program Files\Alteryx\R-4.0.5\bin\x64\R.exe_
_C:\Program Files\Alteryx\R-4.0.5\bin\x64\Rterm.exe_

Thanks Gerardo, and please let me know the results here after whitelisting the two items listed in the write up above. You’ll most likely need some assistance from an IT member at your organization for this.

Cheers,

Michael Cordeiro
Customer Support Engineer
Alteryx

Labels