Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

R (Report) output as a table

Federica_FF
11 - Bolide

Hello everybody,

is there any way to have the result of the R output connector of any predictive tool (the report) as a normal table?

For example I'd like to have a table of the LeafSummary of a Decision Tree with 1 column for the node number, 1 column for the split, etc....

I could scrape the HTML code of the report and get the table, I can do it. But maybe there is a easier way to do that? Maybe adding some R-scripting starting from the O(bject) connector?

Do you have any idea how to do it?

4 REPLIES 4
NickJ
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi,

That information is available in the underlying macro - you just need to expose the contents (after a little coaxing and parsing) into a macro output to make it available as part of the tool output.

In the Decision Tree macro, you need to start amending the macro workflow at Select(20) - I've added an attachment to this post to show you a quickly-sketched out version, that you can test out immediately in the Sample Workflow>Predictive Analytics>6. Decision Tree example workflow (use the L output anchor of this tool)

Hope this helps!
Nick

Nick Jewell | datacurious.ai
michael_treadwell
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

By 'normal table' I assume you mean that you can attach a browse tool to the output and get see the results in an Alteryx table.

All of the reports that you see from the predictive tools are built in R and the displayed via browse by utilizing the AlteryxGraph() function inside of the R tool.

If you wanted this data to display as a table, you would need to edit the underyling R Tool in the predictive macro (right click on the tool and select 'Open Macro:') to combine the data you want into a table using R code inside the R tool and the write it to an output using write.Alteryx().

Though this blog isn't relevant to this topic, it does show an example of using write.Alteryx()https://www.interworks.com/blog/mtreadwell/2016/01/12/speed-your-analysis-alteryx-using-r-and-sqlite

Federica_FF
11 - Bolide

Thank you, both of you.

The R code "write.Alteryx()" was exactly what I was looking for. Simple, clear and straight.

Thanks!

aweldon1
6 - Meteoroid

Hi - Sorry I am late to this thread, but I'm wondering how you were able to write out the leaf summary specifically? I'm looking at the R tool in the decision tree, and I'm not seeing where that data is located in order to use Write.Alteryx to write it out?

Labels