Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Quickly Restart Tool ID Numbering/Control Order of Tool Execution

poles1c
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

Does anyone know how to restart the tool ID numbering in an Alteryx workflow?  I have completed a workflow (with upwards of 50 tools) but the tool IDs do not match the execution order I would like. See example below. Thanks!

Capture.PNG

6 REPLIES 6
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@poles1c,

Tool IDs are assigned as they are dropped onto the canvas.  Order of execution is not guaranteed by the order of the ID.  What business problem is it that you are trying to solve for? 

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
poles1c
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

Thank you for your quick response. I have two goals:

1) I am using a run command tool to pull an FTP file. I want to make sure the file is pulled (therefore refreshing the data) before the workflow begins to process.

2) I am using another run command tool (in the same workflow) to kick off another work flow. I want to make sure the next workflow is not kicked off until the current workflow is finshed processing.

pull file ("refresh data")--->process "refreshed" data ----> kick off workflow (which uses processed data)

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

If I am going to run CONTAINER of logic #1 and want it to be complete before I progress, I cheat.   I summarize the data and count records.  I then append that record count to the incoming data.  Using this method, you can't get a count until the FTP is complete.  When you append the count to the FTP data, you don't actually have to append the field.  Uncheck it.

Now your FTP is done and you can begin your workflow.

Now you can use an EVENT (workflow configuration).  Set it to execute a RUN Command on successful completion of your workflow.  Does that work for you?

The Events tab sets different settings specific to the run. The user can receive alerts via email or can execute another process around the workflow event.

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
poles1c
8 - Asteroid

This works! Thanks!

TRW
6 - Meteoroid

I'm bumping up this old thread because I have a different problem.  I have taken over management of workflows with hundreds of tools, and often need to find tool where a particular field first appears.  I try to narrow down by only looking at a particular type of tool, but that doesn't help.  For example, I have over 50 Select tools where the field I'm looking for appears, and the ID order ranges from 853 (which appears at the end of the workflow) to  5716 (which is about halfway through the workflow.)

Is there any way to sort or rank the Tool Ids based on where they appear so I don't have to look at 50+ tools when searching for the first instance of a particular field?

inDBeast
5 - Atom

Hey I'm not sure if you are still having trouble with this or not but you can accomplish this through the Find&Replace function. Just CTRL+F and search for the field you are looking for. The table of results can be sorted by clicking on the column header. In your case you would want to click on ID.

Labels