Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Quicker way to rename columns in a Join?

ewall
7 - Meteor

I'm doing a join on two data sources that have 100+ columns of data each. Both data sources have the same column names, so all of the duplicates are obviously renamed Right_FIELDNAME1, Right_FIELDNAME2, etc.

I would like to have the Right_ part of the rename changed to "Previous" for ALL values where the Right_ has been added. What's the quickest/easiest/most efficient way to do this?

4 REPLIES 4
ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

In the Join tool:  Click on the Rename column twice to get all of the renamed fields at the top

Use the left mouse button to select all of the rows with re-names

Click Options > Remove Prefix, and select the last option at the bottom (to remove Right_)

Click Options > Add Prefix > in the box type "Previous " without the quotes, and select the checkbox for Only add prefix to highlighted fields

Then click Options > Sort > Revert to incoming field order

Chris

KarolinaRoza
11 - Bolide

Hi @ewall 

One way to achieve this is to use Field Info tool and then Dynamic Rename.

In Field tool you can get old column names and then create column with new names, and then use it in Dynamic Rename.

KarolinaRoza_0-1629914911543.png

Karolina

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @ewall 

Here is my take on it. If column name starts with "Right_" replace it with "Previous_"

Workflow:

atcodedog05_0-1629915558629.png

Hope this helps : )

ewall
7 - Meteor

Thank you all!! They all worked and can see using each approach in the future, depending on the varying data sets. Much appreciated!!

Labels