Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Questions about random seed

Gualigee
8 - Asteroid

Gualigee_0-1651965084741.png

if I choose 0, each time I run the workflow, the training and validation data set should be different, but the attached workflow shows the same results. Likewise, if I choose a number other than 0, each time I run the workflow, the training and validation dataset should be the same, but the attached workflow shows the same results. can you please advise?

8 REPLIES 8
IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @Gualigee,

I've tried the attached workflow and It generates the same validation and training sets each time for me. Were you saying that this workflow wasn't doing this for you?

Gualigee
8 - Asteroid

hi@IraWatt, my question is if i set the seed=0, each time you run the workflow, you should get a different validation and training sets. but actually, we don't, right? I wonder why this is. Thanks.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

If you set the seed manually to a static number - your training and test data sets will be the same each time.

https://r-coder.com/set-seed-r/

Gualigee
8 - Asteroid

Hi @apathetichell, if i set the seed manually to 0,  the training and test data sets will be different each time, right? But mine is the same,

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

No - if you set a seed you will get the same dataset after it is run - see the link I sent.

1. The state of the random number generator is stored in .Random.seed (in the global environment). It is a vector of integers which length depends on the generator.
  2. If the seed is not specified, R uses the clock of the system to establish one.

Run again the previous example where we sampled five random numbers from a Normal distribution, but now specify a seed before:

# Specify any integer
set.seed(1) 

rnorm(5) # -0.6264538  0.1836433 -0.8356286  1.5952808  0.3295078

If you execute the previous code, you will obtain the same output. However, note that if you run rnorm(5) twice, it gives different results:'

in the context of "twice" this would mean executing the random seed twice in an R tool which cannot be done out of the box in Alteryx.

Gualigee
8 - Asteroid

Thank you for your clarification, @apathetichell 

then what is the difference of setting the reed=1 and =3, I did see the results are different. but what is the purpose of setting a different number? Thank you. 

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

the difference is setting a seed vs not setting a seed - if you are setting a seed - you can choose any number there - but if you are troubleshooting or want a static dataset or want to collaborate with your team on the same data - communication of what the seed you are setting is key.

setseed(1) is different than setseed(2) - but the differences don't matter. your model should be as effective (basically) vs either seed. If not you have a model problem not a seed problem.

Gualigee
8 - Asteroid

Thank you for your classification. @apathetichell 

Labels