Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Question on sample of Multi-Field Binning Tool

Jes_Li
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I'm learning Multi-Field Binning Tool and open a sample in Alteryx(right click the tool and click "Open sample"

In the first sample - "Binning Based on Equal Records - Two Bins", it said ---------

Twenty records are assigned equally into 2 bins based on the values in the selected field.

The 10 rows with the lowest values in "Enterprise Sales 2015" are assigned to bin 1, and the 10 highest are assigned to bin 2.

But when I looked at the output, it seems the highest values were assigned to bin 1 instead of bin 2. Did I misunderstand something?

Annotation 2020-01-11 003806.png

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @Jes_Li ,

interesting, comment explains the behaviour of tool version 1 ...

Basically, if you right click on the Multi-Field Binning tool -> Choose Tool Version -> Multi-Field Binning 1, the tool will produce the results you expect. It has been changed between the tool versions. 

So, tool version 1 assigns a higher tile number to higher values, tool version 2 assigns the higher number to the lower values. So you didn't misunderstand something, comment is misleading.

Best,

Roland

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @Jes_Li ,

You did not misunderstand anything. Lowest values should be assigned to bin 1 and highest to bin 2.

There has to be something about it which I am not able to see.

What version of alteryx are you using?

Regards

Labels