community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Question on buffered coordinates vs non-buffered coordinates

Alteryx Partner

Hi Community!

Am kinda stuck on the above topic. Using the spatial info function, I understand that setting a point based on coordinates does not set any specific size of the coordinate, hence I've been using the buffer tool to actually set a radius for each coordinate. 

I have been matching 2 sets of coordinates based on those coordinates/buffers, and realise that the results are different based on which centroid I use (centroid vs centroid buffer). i.e. matching buffers gives me only a 100 matches vs a 1000 matches if I used pure coordinates within a 50m radius. Is there a reason behind this? And what would be the recommended treatment if I want to find the closest pair for a set of coordinates within a 50m radius. 

Thanks so much!

Nebula

Hi @NewUser123 

Can you provide more details about your process?  Logically, if you're matching by "Where Target Touches or Intersects Universe", buffered coodinates should provide more matches than unbuffered.  Unbuffered, the points have to be <=50M apart. A 25M buffer should match any points whose centroids are <= 100M apart.      

For finding the nearest neighours, try using the Find Nearest tool

Dan 

Alteryx Partner

Hey, thanks for replying to my post! Yes I have been using that tool specifically. The issue is then, matching normal coordinates gives me more matches than matching a buffer point with 0.08 kilometers for the buffer. 

Is there a reason for this? I am having trouble in choosing whether to proceed with the buffer or to just use the raw coordinates. 

Nebula

Hi @NewUser123 

Can you share some sample data?

Dan

Labels