Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Question on Core Certification Exam

kvoelker
7 - Meteor

Hi All,

I just completed my first attempt at the Core Certification exam. According to the prep course we were not supposed to have to download any data sets for the core exam. However, there were at least 3 that I had to download the excel data set to be able to answer the question. Is this supposed to happen? If so, is there somewhere we can download the data sets before the exam? Other wise it takes up my exam time to down load & view the data sets on my work computer. Please advise. 

Thanks!

Kelly

26 REPLIES 26
Maissa
7 - Meteor

@markcurry @TrevorS 

Thank you so much for your help !

goyalrav
5 - Atom

there is a blue colored text at the bottom of the page with "Display Previous viewed question".

the list of all past viewed question will be displayed with mark of attended and un-attended question and it can be navigate to selected question.

Refer image given below.

hope that helps!!

gavin_data
6 - Meteoroid

We should really be able to download before pressing "start" so that we don't waste time downloading them and if necessary saving them to a folder. 

davechndr
9 - Comet

Hi @Maissa,

I hope you are doing well.

I had the same issue when taking the Alteryx Core Designer Exam, which now has questions where Excel tables have to be launched, as well as quickly analyzed to give the right answer without losing too much time.

Until I saw this conversation, I was also under the impression that the test taker can only go one-by-one forward and backward amongst the exam questions. I was wrong- thanks to your question, I now know a faster way to go to any random question that I might have skipped previously/earlier, and not waste time going to, say (for example), Question 19 when I am on Question #69. (Scrolling back 50 questions, one-by-one, can take 6 precious minutes, even if doing this quickly.)

Take care! I may have a few additional questions/concerns that could be answered in this thread of conversations!

Best Regards,

@davechndr

davechndr
9 - Comet

Hi Will,

Related to the question that @kvoelker asked:

Because it seems like there are a lot of exam questions, which require launching Excel tables, and, running them through Alteryx to quickly get the right answers, are we allowed to save the Excel files from the exam questions on our flash drives? (I ask this because it may take a minute and a half to find the default folder/location where the Excel file[s] were saved, then go to that directory. Time is of the essence from what I hear, and I do not wish to lose time not being able to find the feeder Excel files/go to a deeply-embedded location to access them, in order to use them as Alteryx inputs.)

As I plan to take the test this coming Wednesday, July 22, 2020, at 10:30 PM US-EDT, which is the earliest I will be able to, would you please let me know by tomorrow (Monday, July 20, 2020) night?

Thank you very much and regards,

@davechndr

davechndr
9 - Comet

Hi @gavin_data,

I agree with you, as it takes too long (for me, at least) to download the Excel files for those questions that involve downloading them, while in a time-pressure during an exam session.

To anyone - is there a way for Excel files to be directly/very quickly imported into Alteryx without the need to go through the motions of:

• Downloading the Excel File(s).

• Saving Them In A Folder.

• Going To That Folder (Esp. If They Get Saved In The Default Folder, Which Is Hard To Find), And Retrieve The File(s).

• On The Alteryx Program, Bringing The File In Via The “Input Data” Tool And Grab The Input File From The Directory.

Going through the bulleted steps above can also waste 2 minutes - enough time to complete another exam question - which I do not want to do.

Thank you very much.

@dchandra

wdavis
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @davechndr 

One option for this would be to have opened up your Downloads folder (or default folder) prior to taking the exam. Therefore, when you have to download the files from the exam, you will already have the location setup.

You can then just drag and drop directly from the folder onto the canvas and it will automatically populate you with an input tool. This will therefore save you some time when it comes to the practical questions.

Whilst any files are downloading, it's also a good opportunity to start thinking about the tools you will want to use, based on the question you are presented with. This should give you a headstart once you're able to bring the data in.

Hope this helps and good luck with the exam!

Will

Gia152
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @dchandra

After downloading the file, you can also drag and drop directly from the bottom of the browser to a new Alteryx workflow, skipping one more step of going to the folder.

Hope this helps. All the best!

@Gia152

davechndr
9 - Comet

Hi @Gia152 and @wdavis,

Thank you very much for your time-saving techniques; I will definitely incorporate your ideas when taking the Core Exam later in the day today! On a practice file from another internet site, I tried downloading Excel files and I was able to drag it right from the bottom of the browser, onto the Alteryx canvas and it worked! So the entire table with the headers, got captured correctly when I saw the table by the automatically-created input date tool! Great tip @Gia152!

Take care and please stay safe during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Very Best Regards,

@dchandra

riteshtandon
5 - Atom

I have scored ~78% in core certification and failed.

Kindly help how will I get my certification?

Thanks,

Ritesh

Labels