Alteryx Designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Quantity Validation Based on Specified Date

marlontalisvistar
8 - Asteroid

Hi Guys,

I am re-opening this case since it has been left unresolved.  Just a few background, there are two input files. First file has no work date where I use a formula to add a column date to locate a match date in the 2nd file. The 2nd file has more records because it contains month to date records. The quantify in the First file is sum-up per Function Description while in the 2nd file isn't. 

My problem is that I can't align the two files based on the quantity because I really need to see if there are variance between the two. Or if in case there are records in the First file that is not found in the 2nd File. Quantity should still be presented while 2nd file showing "0". This therefore could create a variance.

I'm not sure if I am positioning the join tool correctly but the result doesn't meet my expectation. I have attached references like a  sample of results so that you may be able to visualize what I am looking for.

I'm attaching the following. Please feel free to correct my workflow.

1. 2 Input files - Function Summary (date is 7-20-21) and Corr Epic Production Detail Report

2. My Workflow

3. Sample of Expected Results (taken from manual tracker) - 2 Samples provided.

Looking forward for your consideration and assistance that would really add to my learning.

Thanks.

14 REPLIES 14
marlontalisvistar
8 - Asteroid

Hi apathetichell

Thank you so much for helping me out on this. I made some changes on your workflow and I think I somewhat get the idea I wanted. My only concern is that I need to type the date in the filter tool to fetch the specific date I wanted for the report. Can you help me out on this so that I won't be typing it rather a formula tool to read the date in the formula tool I've declared? Is this possible? Please see attached references.

marlontalisvistar
8 - Asteroid

attaching additional image for reference.

apathetichell
16 - Nebula

I'm sorry but I have no idea what you are saying or why. I mentioned that you can't have a variance of 11 in the data files I was using. If you are using different datafiles - you can test your workflow. Perhaps the complexities and your needs are beyond what a community sourced solution can provide.

marlontalisvistar
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

My apology for the misunderstanding. I've checked your workflow and see some incorrect figures mismatch with the manual tracker. I've attached the latest workflow I made for your checking and maybe you could help me with my date concern. You may  attachments previously attached today.

Please be advised that I am much grateful for your assistance where it is a part of my learning.

Thanks.

apathetichell
16 - Nebula

Can you explain what you are seeing that you don't expect after running it off of the same files I'm running on mine? Please use words and not .png files... Perhaps I've gotten you 90% of the way and you can troubleshoot the remainder? As mentioned if you have two files in a category and the total on that data source is 11. and you have no entries in that category from the other datasource the variance is:

11-0 - which equals 11. Perhaps you have new data wherein the variance is 12 - but I have no idea how that compares to what I'm running. If you update the input files and run - I don't know what the variance is but you can track down where the ommited records are by using summarize/group by/sum quantity on both sources and see if the numbers look like they should... Could there be problems with the filter? 100% - it's the longer the string you are matching the easier the errors. Are there core errors in the variance logic? Maybe. I can't answer that. I've tried to provide a solution with the information I have.

Labels