Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Python tool loses code

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Has anybody else lost their Python code? It has happened to me twice. I go to run my workflow and see that my few hundred lines of code have been deleted and replaced with the standard default:

Capture.PNG

74 REPLIES 74
CarlCarv
5 - Atom

I'm new using Alteryx, my version is 2021.3 and I just lost all my python code because of this issue that seems coming from 2018 Version and still not solved.

My python notebook is always saved, but even after save it's not an insurance that I can get it back?!?

By the way your python "developer" whatever you may call it is really poor, I mean I don't have any words to make a real and full description without falling into vulgarity. You're not able to introduce a simple functionality to allow downloading the notebook, that would be a simple "workaround" at least to save the notebook  until a definitive solution.  

KrisG
7 - Meteor

Having the same issue on v. 2020.4.5. Does anyone know the outlook for a fix?

jayj1000
7 - Meteor

@AngelaO @DanM The problem still has not been resolved.  Please prioritize fixing this.  It is crucial that the python code remains present.  This is a very serious problem.

DanM
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@jayj1000 

Please open a ticket with our Support organization. They can open a proper channel with our Product team to look into this issue.

DanM

jayj1000
7 - Meteor

@DanM  This issue was first addressed in ‎09-11-2018.  That's over 4 years ago.  This issue has been well documented.  Creating a ticket with Alteryx support is tedious and time consuming.  I appreciate the Alteryx team, but I feel like this issue has not received enough attention.

jayj1000
7 - Meteor

For anyone looking for a list of potential solutions:

1) Uncheck the box that allows you to "Override System Settings" on the Defaults tab. 
Options > User Settings > Edit User Settings

2) Run Alteryx in admin mode.

3) Uncheck "Disable Auto Configure" in the Advanced tab.
Options > User Settings > Edit User Settings

4) Remove print statements.

5) Disable "AMP".

6) Hit the save icon within the Python tool.

DanM
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@jayj1000 we have reached out to your account team to see if they can help you.

TDSandrewtuma
5 - Atom

This still happens to me continuously, no matter how many times I save the notebook or save the workflow. If I save the notebook, click the output, then go back to the notebook it will be completely blank. I'm not sure how anyone can develop in Alteryx with all of the bugs.

amirsemsar
8 - Asteroid
  • One of the ways I found that solves this issue is that you save your notebook outside and load the notebook in from the outside.
  • Two you can switch to PRODUCTION from Interactive it prevents the loss from taking place too often. 
  • Three Create fragments of Alteryx workflows and have an orchestrator of some sort do the necessary steps in alteryx then execute said PY file and then continue the process. This really makes it difficult to win support from python developers

I put a few tutorials even during the tutorials you can see the notebook vanishing. I guess nobody wants to fix the bug

amirsemsar
8 - Asteroid

none of that is a 100% fix. The best fix is to save the code outside and load the notebook/script

Labels