Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Python Tool Warning Insecure Writes

florijn
7 - Meteor

Hi

I used Python tool to run some scripts and write data to workflows. Recently I noticed a warning as follows in all python tools created before.

Warning: Python (1): WARNING: Insecure writes have been enabled via environment variable 'JUPYTER_ALLOW_INSECURE_WRITES'! If this is not intended, remove the variable or set its value to 'False'.
[NbConvertApp] WARNING | Config option `template_path` not recognized by `NotebookExporter`.

if I use %env to check the jupyter environment variables, I can see

'JUPYTER_ALLOW_INSECURE_WRITES': '1'

I tried to change the variable to False but it did not permanently change the variable. When the workflow open again, the warning shows up again.

Does anyone know how to fix the warning?

4 REPLIES 4
joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Haven't seen that one before. This is the only I can find on that issue: https://github.com/jupyter/notebook/issues/5197. Might be worth checking out, scroll to the bottom for what this person did to get it working. 

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @florijn 

According to the Dev blogs this env variable was added in V4.6.2 to allow Jupyter Notebooks to start in environments that have non-Windows file systems.  It's supposed to be a warning only.  Do your workflows report the warning and continue to run? 

Dan 

florijn
7 - Meteor

Thanks.

I updated nbconvert and nbformat libraries to the latest versions in Alteryx env, and then the issue was fixed. But I am still not sure what caused the issue. In another computer with old versions of those 2 libraries did not trigger the same warning.

acowpy
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I had the same error from a workflow that had been running fine for a long time. Seems either an update of Alteryx or Python, or perhaps one of our team running on their machine with a slightly different config must have triggered something.

The only way I found to fix it was to create a fresh workflow, copy across all tools except the python tool, add a new 'fresh' python tool, copy/paste the code, then run (i.e generate a new env). This seemed to fix it.

Cheers

Labels