Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Python Tool - Timeout waiting for execute reply (30s)

Kaloust
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

I am trying to run checks on my data using the new Python tool. Everything is working as expected when I select a small number of rows, but once I use the whole data (approximately 1M rows) I am getting a timeout error "Timeout waiting for execute reply (30s)". Is there a way to adjust the Python configurations to increase the timeout waiting time?

Thank you.

10 REPLIES 10
PaulN
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Kaloust,

Thank you for posting!

Your issue seems to be caused by the default configuration of Jupyter, the application behind Python tool.

Could you please try the following:

1. Open a command prompt (cmd.exe)

2. Enter the following 2 lines:

if not exist %userprofile%\.jupyter mkdir %userprofile%\.jupyter

echo c.ExecutePreprocessor.timeout = None > %userprofile%\.jupyter\jupyter_nbconvert_config.py

Example:

cmd_2018-09-03_21-42-45.png

3. Restart Alteryx Designer

4. Run your workflow again

Note that this will impact any Jupyter configuration for current user and not just Alteryx Python tool

Kind regards,

Paul Noirel

Sr Customer Support Engineer

Kaloust
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you @PaulN

This solved my problem!

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@PaulN Is there anyway to change the timeout for a particular app? I've changed the base code so that the default timeout is -1, and now I want a particular app to have a 60 second timeout. I'm running this on the gallery. Is there a way to modify the app so that the python tool in it errors out after 60 seconds? 

OndrejC
Alteryx
Alteryx

Thx for solution, @PaulN !

Are there any plans (in development) to change default timeout of Python tool?

PaulN
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @patrick_digan,

I am not aware of such option as Jupyter server is usually started with particular settings. So all notebooks opened on a particular server will have the same configuration.

Thanks,

Paul Noirel

Sr Customer Support Engineer, Alteryx 

PaulN
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @OndrejC,

Well, I am not aware of the roadmap. That said, as annoying as it may potentially be, Python tool actually works as designed.

I would suggest to post an idea to give visibility to this.

Thanks,

Paul Noirel

gsjacobs
8 - Asteroid

This doesn't seem to work for a workflow running on Server.  Is there a configuration setting for published workflows?

PaulN
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @gsjacobs,

You are correct: this workaround will only impact current user session.

@patrick_digan and @HeatherMHarris have suggested other ways to bypass the default timeout there: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Python-Tool-Timeouts-When-Running-Work...

Please let me know if this helps.

Kind regards,

Paul Noirel

gsjacobs
8 - Asteroid
Thank you for your assistance.

Best Regards,

Greg Jacobs
Business Intelligence Developer
DCP Midstream
c: 720-315-2001 | p: 303-446-4102