Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Python Tool Pip upgrade message

_richardr
10 - Fireball

Alteryx.installPackages() function in Alteryx Python tool reports that pip should be upgraded.

You are using pip version 9.0.1, however version 18.1 is available.
You should consider upgrading via the 'python -m pip install --upgrade pip' command.

I cannot get this to upgrade.  I have tried within the tool and from the command line where miniconda is located with no luck.

4 REPLIES 4
PaulN
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @_richardr,

Thank you for posting!

Pip -the Python package manager used by Alteryx.installPackages()- tends to be pushy in terms of upgrade. So my first question would be : why would you like to upgrade?

If you would still to move forward -and you accept the fact that an error with pip upgrade may lead to a full reinstall of Alteryx Designer- then you could use the following commands from Python tool. Note that you will need to run Designer as administrator in the case of a admin version of the product

from ayx import Package
Package.installPackages(package='pip',install_type='install --upgrade')

Example:

AlteryxGui_2018-11-01_22-00-58.png

Kind regards,

Paul Noirel

Sr Customer Support Engineer, Alteryx

_richardr
10 - Fireball

Reason is I have been trying to get geopandas to install and keep getting errors.  I was trying to resolve any other issues and the pip version that was 9 (9 to 18) revisions old kind of stood out.  

Unfortunately this did not help my geopandas issue.  I will probably use another library.

PaulN
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hey @_richardr,

Thanks for the feedback!

So I have tried to install geopandas on my machine -and failed. Geopandas has a few dependencies: one in particular -fiona- needs GDAL/OGR libraries to be installed on the machine. 

I have found following posts but I have not tested it myself: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/34427788/how-to-successfully-install-pyproj-and-geopandas

Feel free to post if you manage to make it work!

Kind regards,

Paul Noirel

Sr Customer Support Engineer, Alteryx

_richardr
10 - Fireball

I tried that post before.  I was aware of the GDAL requirement, but that library is an even bigger problem.  I am going at this a little differently using pandas and shapely.  This is just a side project I was messing around with, I really would like to get some of the python geospatial tools going as there are some holes in Alteryx's native tools.

Thanks

Labels