Alteryx Designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

General Discussions has some can't miss conversations going on right now! From conversations about automation to sharing your favorite Alteryx memes, there's something for everyone. Make it part of your community routine!

Python Tool Error:NbConvertApp mactched no files

khu
8 - Asteroid

Hi,Community,

This is the first I try to use Python Tool and it return the error

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks

PaulN
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @khu,

Thank you for posting.

Could you please provide more details about the context of this error - for instance is it an admin or a non admin version of Alteryx Designer?

Does the error happen when you run your workflow? Could you please provide a screenshot of the tool content?

Thanks,

Paul Noirel

Sr Customer Support Engineer

mj89
5 - Atom

Having this same issue. Also 1st time using this tool and installed the latest version earlier in the week. I have the non-admin version of Designer 2018.3 installed. My workplace has access restrictions in place on several directories on all PC's for regular users so was thinking it was being caused by those restrictions preventing a certain directory from being accessed properly. I had IT temporarily elevate my rights to admin but still getting the same issue. Error text is a very long warning message that basically looks like it is looking inside a folder in my temporary files directory within app data for an .ipynb file. I've attached the full text. Could this be the result of something going wrong during the install? This error is preventing me from testing some very important machine learning scripts in a couple workflows so any advice to fix is welcome.

PaulN
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @mj89,

Sorry for late reply.

Are you still facing this issue ?

If so, do you use an admin or a non-admin version of Designer ? Do you have Python/Jupyter installed on the machine, out of Alteryx ? How is your temporary folder configured please (from menu Options, User Settings, Edit User Settings, Default Temporary Directory) ?

Thanks,

Paul Noirel

Sr Customer Support Engineer, Alteryx

mj89
5 - Atom

Yes, still facing the issue even after a clean reinstall of Designer and R tools. I'm using the non-admin version of Designer 2018.3.5 and I have Anaconda installed on my computer which gives me the Python/Jupyter capabilities. In the Anaconda prompt I can easily bring up a Jupyter notebook in my browser but within Alteryx it does not come up after I run the workflow and click on & off the tool as instructed. I have been emailing Alteryx Support about the issue since my original post and I even went into the command line to try some commands that they suggested but still no luck. I also checked and the .jupyter folder and jupyter_nbconvert_config.py program both exist. Since my company has a large amount of restrictions in place within the Users folder I created a custom temporary folder directly on my Desktop (I also set one up for logs to see if I could find anything through there). The default temporary folder was in Users --> App Data --> Local. Either way I still get an nbconvert error. It is also probably useful to note that my supervisor is having the same issue on his laptop with the Alteryx Python tool so it makes me wonder if it is something not local to my PC causing the issue.

I actually have a call setup today at 4 PM EDT with Alteryx Support to go over the issue in real-time with them but any suggestions are appreciated. 

PaulN
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @mj89,

Many thanks for the reply!

Before your call with one of my colleagues, would you be able to test if changing your temporary path to "C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Engine" could solve your issue ?

Thanks,

Paul Noirel

Sr Customer Support Engineer, Alteryx

mj89
5 - Atom

Unfortunately, changing the temporary path to C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Engine did not work to fix the issue. It still gives the NbConvert warning saying it matches no files in that folder.

Smerker
5 - Atom

I am having a similar issue.  I ran the with the new temp path and it ran, but I received a different error.

Info: Python (1): [NbConvertApp] Converting notebook C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Engine\8256cf0e-7fa7-4937-9787-7a2c12ac3bc8\1\workbook.ipynb to html
[NbConvertApp] Executing notebook with kernel: python3
[NbConvertApp] Writing 257734 bytes to C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Engine\8256cf0e-7fa7-4937-9787-7a2c12ac3bc8\1\NUL.html

mj89
5 - Atom

Hi,

I was able to recently resolve my issue by updating to 2018.4. I am also now using the admin version so that may have something to do with it too. The issue from my original post was being caused by the internal firewall my company uses. The Python tool reaches out to gather resources from various places online in order to function and the ports needed were not open on my end. However, the latest version seems to have fixed this issue somehow without the need for a proxy or any other sort of workaround. I would try updating if you haven't already and also try the admin version if you are currently using non-admin. Hope that helps!

Labels