Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Python Tool Content Deleted on 2019.1 Update

JoshKushner
12 - Quasar

When upgrading to 2019.1, the content of my Python tool was deleted. Although this may be a bug in the 2019.1 version, or just a bug in the upgrade process. Either way, it is problematic that details of a canvas would be deleted at all.

My guess is if the content of the Python Tool could be reliably stored in the canvas XML this issue could potentially be resolved.

8 REPLIES 8
erick_irigoyen
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Greetings, 

I ran into a similar issue yesterday. One of my teammates, @MichaelSu , suggested creating a copy of the workflow and changing the file extension from ".yxmd" to ".txt". Open the text file. You should be able to see the XML code for that workflow, including your python code. I ended up creating a new copy of my workflow, deleted the python tool, and added a clean Python tool.

Hope this helps.

JoshKushner
12 - Quasar

There is currently a defect in Designer that will wipe/reset all code in a canvas's Python tools if the canvas also has a macro with an embedded Python tool. We have been able to replicate this issue. This would be a very desirable fix as it would greatly increase the effectiveness of our solutions

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Is this in 2019.1 @JoshKushner 

Have you been able to check if this also happens in 2019.2 or 3?

JoshKushner
12 - Quasar

Hi @SeanAdams I have been able to replicate this issue in v2019.3.5

JoshKushner
12 - Quasar

This has been raised as a defect in Alteryx Designer. The issue has been replicated up through the most recent version.

Issue Breakdown:

If a Python tool is within a Macro, it will wipe all Python Code within the outer-canvas it is placed. 

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

This is a known issue with the Python tool with previous versions as well - the developers are working on a solution! In the meantime, you can recover your work if you have the .bak file. 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Python-tool-loses-code/m-p/300809 

shaynie
8 - Asteroid

Any progress on this fix? Timing?  I need the Python tool in a macro.  If it will be a while, I'll look for an alternative.  Thanks

andrepsouza
5 - Atom

This is, in my humble opinion, one of the most unacceptable bug in Alteryx. 

It is there for many versions now.

One thing is when you have a bug that you can fix or find an alternative. 

Other very different thing is a bug that simply erases your work.

Is it that hard to solve or does the Alteryx team thinks that this is not as grave as I do?

Labels