Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Pulling one instance of value

mabdulh1
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

If you see the below join tool at the right which is being done by employee name. I am having an issue where the 75 from the left side is being joined with every instance of Ray in the right side. Is there a way to have the 75 attached to the one instance and any additional instance a zero or null amount is entered. 

mabdulh1_0-1594143437475.png

6 REPLIES 6
MichaelLaRose
10 - Fireball

Hi @mabdulh1 

If I understand correctly,

You are expecting that Ray should only be displayed once in the final dataset with all of the same data listed once.

If that is the case you can put a Unique tool in the Right data workflow in order to limit the data to just the unique list of Employee Names.

Does that make sense?

Best,

Michael

mabdulh1
8 - Asteroid

Hi @MichaelLaRose,

Let me clarify so the final dataset as show above I want it to still show both lines but the HRS Balance of 75 needs to be included once. I did try the unique tool but it removed the HRS balance with zeros which I do not want it to do either.

So it would show as 

Name                   HRS Bal.

Ray                          75

Ray                            0

Ray                            0 (if there were more than 2 lines)

MichaelLaRose
10 - Fireball

Hi @mabdulh1 

Can you send me a set of sample data?

If you want to change all values after the first you can do that with a multi-row formula but I want to make sure what I am thinking will work with the way your data is structured.

Thanks,

Michael

mabdulh1
8 - Asteroid

Hi @MichaelLaRose 

I pulled that portion of the workflow for you to see the issue along with the sample data.

MichaelLaRose
10 - Fireball

Hi @mabdulh1 ,

Thanks, I have attached a workflow with two methods to solve what you are trying to do. They have very different results and I think Method 1 is what you want but I thought having the second option could be useful as well.

I also changed the workflow so that the file is on a relative path. So as long as it is in the same folder as the sample data you should be all set to run it.

Best,

Michael

mabdulh1
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @MichaelLaRose

Really ingenious solutions and I never used that running total tool before

Labels