Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Pulling in the Newest File and Point to a Specific Tab Using Directory Input

bridgethutter
7 - Meteor

Hello!

I am pulling in the newest file every time run the workflow. All of the inputs point to the same file, but I have pointed each input to a different tab using the formula tool. I then union them. This solution works great but would like to make this workflow more efficient.

Is there a way I can do this using a macro? I feel like it is fairly bulky and would like to streamline as much as possible.

Bridget Hutter

d4776445-0dc6-48d0-98d6-aa23ebc2789e.png

4 REPLIES 4
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @bridgethutter 

You could simplify by re-shuffling the order of the tools:

1. One directory tool
  2. Sort, filter and sample
  3. Then branch out to the three tabs
Christina_H
14 - Magnetar

Based on your workflow, you're getting the same format of data from each tab?  How about something like this?

Christina_H_0-1673972911427.png

bridgethutter
7 - Meteor

Hey! Both solutions worked. I was just interested in learning how to update something through a macro. 

Thanks!

Bridget

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @bridgethutter 

From a macro perspective, what would you be looking to achieve? A tool that multiple people on the team would be using? You could make a macro where the input is a file path that updates the directory tool and then has three output anchors for the tabs. Another input might be the year so the tab naming can be updated easily each year. A macro isn't always the best solution, but if you share the workflow I could mock up an example of this for you.

Labels