Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Pulling in Multiple Excel workbooks with different Sheet names

guystanley
5 - Atom

Hi, sorry for what is probably a basic question, but I'm a new user and haven't been able to find a solution in the Community. I have a directory with ~30 Excel files that I want to combine into one, where each file follows the same naming convention but with different date prefixes.  Not wanting to have 30 input tools, I am trying to use a single Input tool with a wildcard.  I am having 2 resultsing issues.

1 - each workbook usually contains 2-3 sheets; and the one containing the data I want never follows a consistent naming convention, but it usually contains the text "230".  Doesn't seem like there is a wildcard option for sheet name, does anyone have any other suggestions?

2 - the relevant fields in the worksheet are always included, but are not always in the same column order.  using an Input tool with a wildcard does not seem to have the capability to re-order & marry up the fields the way a Union tool does.  is there a better way to do this?

any help greatly appreciated

Guy

13 REPLIES 13
dmuseve
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Jordan,

This is a simple question but I have not been able to figure this out. How do I delete the "|||<List of sheet Names>" part so that its not displayed in the action tool

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

You need to select the 'replace a specific string' tick box at the bottom of the action tool configuration window. You will then be able to select the part of the text you want to replace

Best,

Jordan

akhalid028
5 - Atom

Hi Jordan - I am applying after making changes but the changes won't apply. Can you help me out please ?

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

@akhalid028 

Can you send a screenshot of the current configuration you have?

Best,

Jordan

Labels