Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Pull the values from the excel table structure

aparanjith1
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I am using an excel sheet which is formatted in a table structure and I need to pull the values from that table. Below is the image of the table in excel.

table Structure.PNG

As shown in the above image, the column value for 'PDs Non-stress horizon (yr) 85%' = 1 and 'PDs Non-stress horizon (yr) 95%' = 1. Similarly we should have the values for next four values. I tried to use transpose but that is not fetching me correct results. Can someone help me in this?

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
DavidxL
9 - Comet

Do you have an example Excel file that you can share? 

I've attached a workflow using a mockup of your data table in Excel. The main things I configured were "Start data import on line" 2 so that it skips the line "Model" and selecting the first column as the "Key Field" in the Transpose tool.

AmeliaG
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @aparanjith1,

Please note that you can read in a named range from Excel which will allow you to grab only the table data. If you are already doing this, then to get the data in the desired format, you will indeed use a Transpose tool. The 85% and 95% column will be 'data' fields and the unnamed column will be your key field (the column which contains the value "PDs Non-stress horizon").

If this doesn't work, can you please attach at least part of the Excel sheet so I can send an example workflow?/

aparanjith1
8 - Asteroid

I could not able to open this WF, it says the version it has been created is more recent version. The version I am using is 11.5.1.31573

aparanjith1
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

Attached is the sample excel sheet which is identical to the excel file I am using.

Thanks!

DavidxL
9 - Comet

Here's the workflow edited to be compatible with 11.5.

AmeliaG
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @aparanjith1,

Please see the attached workflow for your solution. Let me know if you have any questions!

Amelia

aparanjith1
8 - Asteroid

Hi Amelia,

This will work for sure. But, I have one more question. Can I just get rid of this excel completely and prepare an exact same interface for users where they can input in these values? Just like the same table structure?

AmeliaG
Alteryx
Alteryx

Yes, this is possible if you build an app and use the interface tools. To input numeric values, use the numeric up/down and then the values will go into a Text Box tool. I've attached an example here . 

aparanjith1
8 - Asteroid

Thanks a lot Amelia, that worked perfectly.

Labels