Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Publishing Metadata to Tableau Server using Superstore data set as an example

Reston
5 - Atom

Hello Community, 

Per title, I'm consistently hitting an error with trying to publish a .csv as a .hyper file to the Tableau Server for my company: 

"Error - ToolId 9: Tool #252: Tool #4: Tableau Server API Request (Publish file) Error Code 400011: Bad Request -- There was a problem publishing the file '12598:d4678842b0a74bbaa42f488377d8fd74-1:0'."

I've followed other guides online and performed the following steps:

1. Saved the metainfo (in a .tds file) to a folder, and brought a .csv file into alteryx, attaching it to the 'publish to tableau server' tool. I have saved the .csv and .tds file in the same folder ("TDSFILES") on my desktop, and both are named "SampleSuperstore"

2. Used notepad++ to edit line 8 of the file to read as a path to where I have saved the initial csv file ("C:\Users\EmployeeNumber\Desktop\TDSFILES\SampleSuperstore.csv")

3. Used notepad++ to edit the tableau server version in the .tds file to show the correct version 

4. Configured the 'publish to tableau server' tool to the correct logins and the Data Source Metainfo is a path to the .tds file in the same folder as above on my desktop. 

Running this yields the same error consistently - I'm unable to find any further help online. My thought is maybe I incorrectly edited something in the .tds file using notepad++.

-Where should line 8 of the .tds file direct to? 

-Does the original file NEED to be a .csv, .xlsx, or .hyper, or are any fine? 

Thank you in advance for your help

5 REPLIES 5
EricWe
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi Reston, 

Please review this KB article from Tableau on publishing metadata: Tableau KB. It mentions the .tde files included metadata, while the newer .hyper files do not, and that .tdsx or .twbx files are used for metadata starting with version 10.5. 

Thanks, 

Eric West
Customer Support Engineer
Alteryx, Inc.

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
My first question would be, does it work fine if you publish without the meta info?

If yes this would suggest your tds file and the way you have set this up is not quite correct.

A colleague of mine has recently published a blog on this process which may be of interest.

https://www.theinformationlab.nl/2018/12/11/create-tds-publish-to-tableau-server-tool-in-alteryx/

Ben
Reston
5 - Atom

Thanks Ben, 

I actually had a call with Alteryx support and the solution we covered is the same as your colleagues blog post, so that helps a lot for future reference.

zm1
6 - Meteoroid

Do you know if this still works when publishing to Tableau Server 2019.2? I noticed the .tds had different text than the example did after our company's server update.

fdelapena
7 - Meteor

@zm1  the publish with tds option has been uncooperative with 2019.4 and 2020.1. I have an open Alteryx ticket - they replied that they're aware of the issue and would follow-up when resolved.

Labels