Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Publish to tableau

Vyx
7 - Meteor

Hi All,

Wanted to ask a random question as I cannot see the answer anywhere about using the publish to tableau tool. If you have created calculated fields in your tableau dashboard do you have to replicate these calculated fields in your alteryx workflow so that when you publish to tableau they are there? 

Also, how do data sets that are combined using joins in tableau dashboard affect Alteryx workflow - would I have to perform the same join in the workflow. 

Looking to create a fairly simple workflow that publishes a data source to tableau but wanted to know the full implications before I start messing around with publishing to the servers! 

1 REPLY 1
Christina_H
14 - Magnetar

I publish a lot of data sets to a Tableau Server.  Calculated fields in the Tableau workbook will continue to calculate based on the same fields from the data file, there's no need to replicate them in Alteryx although you might choose to move some to Alteryx.  The same with joins - you can either join in Alteryx and publish a combined data set or continue to join them in Tableau, you don't need to do both.

I suppose the difference is - if you calculate/join in Tableau, those things only apply to a single workbook (although you can copy/paste calculated fields to different workbooks).  If you do it in Alteryx they will be available in any workbook connected to that data source.

Labels