Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Publish to Tableau Server

mb1824
9 - Comet

Hi,

I downloaded the tool (this morning) from the Gallery, installed it, and am trying to get it working using a very simple workflow (text input with 5 records straight to the Tableau tool)

Alteryx_Publish to Tableau Server.JPG

I am running Alteryx 2018.1.4.44311 & Tableau Online

The Workflow appears to finish running successfully, but the data source does not appear in Tableau Online.

Any ideas? Do I need another tool after the Tableau tool?

How long does it take for the data source to appear in Tableau Online - seconds?

11 REPLIES 11
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
As soon as it has succesfully written then it should appear.

A couple of things to check here.

Alteryx hosts two versions lf the publish to server tool on the gallery, one compatible with tableau versions 10.4 and lower and one compatible with 10.5 and above. Are you definitely using the one for 10.5 and above?

Next thing to check is the response headers which can be found in the output anchor of the publish to tableau server tool, what messages are you getting?

One thing i am aware off is that tableau online was due to be upgraded over the weekend so perhaps this has caused an issue.

Ben
mb1824
9 - Comet

Thank you for the response.

I downloaded v1.09 of the tool and I am running Alteryx 2018.1 & Tableau 10.5, so that should all be compatible.

See below a screenshot of the response headers....are there meant to be 4 headers with an empty record?

Alteryx_Publish to Tableau Server Response Headers.JPG

jackie_liu
8 - Asteroid

Is your Output Options set to Overwrite Data Source?

I used to run into this issue often with publishing new TDEs. It was usually because I forgot to change the Output Options to Create Data Source

Alteryx - Publish to Tableau.JPG

mb1824
9 - Comet

@jackie_liu

Thanks for the response. 

Yes, I did have it set to "Overwrite Data Source", however, this morning I have changed it to "Create Data Source" and the .hyper / .tde still does not appear in Tableau Online

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Could you send images of the configuration of the workflow and the messages you are getting when you run the workflow. This will make it easier to help you debug!

mb1824
9 - Comet

Alteryx_Publish to Tableau Server_Input.JPGAlteryx_Publish to Tableau Server_Connection.JPGAlteryx_Publish to Tableau Server_Output.JPGAlteryx_Publish to Tableau Server_Messages.JPG

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
I would expect a ‘succesful write’ type message when using the tool, this is what i get. So this message not appearing wohld probably explain why you dont see ot in the server environment.

Can you send an image of the output data from the publish to tabealu server tool?

Could you also configure the tool to be in ‘request authentication token’ mode too, and pass the output daya stream from that, this would tell us if there is any authentication issues.

Have you tried with a nore substantial dataset too, say uploading sample superstore?

Do you have publisher permisions. These are all things immthinking of which may influence the result, but traditionally ive found the tool is wuite good at throwing approproate messages when it hasnt worked which it isnt doinf in this case.

Ben

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
I would advise you simultaneously raise this with official Alteryx support channels, by email your issue to support@alteryx.com as it seems like a strange and likely background problem that we can’t control.

My feeling is this is something to do with the migration of tableau online to 2018.1 which I believe occurred over the weekend, and something may have occurred as a result, api mismatch or something.

Ben
mb1824
9 - Comet

Thanks for your comments @BenMoss

The short answer is the tool is now working, but I am not sure exactly why, except to say I tried to upload Superstore and got a Windows pop-up message about granting permission for Alteryx to do something (can't remember exactly what). Once I approved this, the tool worked. 

Not sure why the message didn't pop-up last week. 

Thanks again for your help 

Labels