Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Publish to Tableau Server Tool Spins Indefinitely

RainmanDX
5 - Atom

Hello,

I am running Alteryx Designer 2018.4.5 and testing out the Publish to Tableau Server tool for the first time.

I am able to drop the tool into my workflow, set up a successful connection to my organization's Tableau Server, and configure the data source.  I select an appropriate Project Name from the list, enter a new Data Source name, and choose "Create" "Tableau Hyper Data Extract" for the other options.

When I am through, I deselect the tool, but a red warning still appears that says, "Select an existing Project".  I already did select one, one that I've published to many times before, but I try to re-engage the tool all the same.  I select the tool, and when I do, the Configuration Window has a spinner suggesting it is loading something... and never ceases.   No matter how long I wait, the tool will not cease loading to allow me to make any revisions to it.  This is true if I de-select the tool and re-select it at any stage in the dev process - the only solution I have uncovered is to delete the tool from the workflow and reintroduce it.

I've attached a screenshot of the spinner.  Any support on why the Publish to Tableau Server tool doesn't recognize existing projects, or else why I can't reengage with it after deselecting it one time would be most helpful.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Turkma
6 - Meteoroid

A response on this issue would be greatly appreciated. We were running workflows with the Publish to Tableau Server tool successfully for the past year, but all of a sudden this issue started occurring. Even when I pull in a new tool to replace the old one I still get a red warning still appears that says, "Select an existing Project" and when select back into the tool a spinning window.

TrevorS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hello @RainmanDX 
Are you able to update to a newer version of Designer? 2018.4 is not supported any longer, and updating could resolve the issue as both the tool and Designer have been extensively updated since the version you are running on.

If you update, and still encounter the same issue please let me know, or email Support@alteryx.com.

Thanks!

TrevorS

Community Moderator
Turkma
6 - Meteoroid

I am running off of Alteryx 2019.2 and am encountering the issue. No updates were done on Tableau Server and all that changed from the week before it stop working was I had to change my log in password to my computer which automatically updates my tableau server password. The two items I get are "Select an existing project" and one that says Duplicates were found.

Sethmb
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hello Turkma, 

Does the project name have any special characters like an apostrophe? This can sometimes cause the spinning circle. There are a few other things that could be at play. Where you saying there are duplicates found? is the error saying there is more than one macro? or something different? Some other things that I think we could check is on the install and it may be best to setup a call with Support. If you would like to do that, I will send you a message. 

Please let me know, 

Thanks

ktaghvaei
5 - Atom

Hi,

I'm getting the same error and it doesn't allow me to publish to the server. It keeps saying select an existing project even though it finds my project on the site. Please advise.

Thanks,

Kimia

TCornford
5 - Atom

Same issue here. We are running 2019.4. No special characters in the project name. How can we resolve this issue?

MDhaker
7 - Meteor

Hello Everyone,

I am facing exact same issue with 'Publish to Tableau Server' tool.
"Select an existing project."

Please find below details and let me know if there is a working solution.

Alteryx Server Version: 2021.1.4.26400
Publish to Tableau Server Version: 2.0

BigDataGeek
8 - Asteroid

Anyone find a solution to this?  Facing the exact same issue!

Labels