Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Publish to Tableau Server Tool - Data Source Updated Time

AndyCornelissen
5 - Atom

Does anyone have a best practice to share on listing the data source updated time from a TDE created via Alteryx in the title of a tableau worksheet?  I have added a formula tool to my workflows with the DateTimeNow() function.  But once I add that field to my tableau worksheet titles they don't aggregate nicely.  Just wondering what others have done since I am updating these TDEs via a schedule it would be nice to display on the tableau worksheets when the data source was last updated.  Any info is appreciated!

Thanks,

Andy

6 REPLIES 6
Inactive User
Not applicable

Add the DateTimeNow() as a new column to the data source and display that field on a new sheet or as a small sheet on the dashboard you are using (data as of date). Not sure why it needs to be on sheet name, would be better to row derive that as a value in the data.

bharti_dalal
10 - Fireball

Hi @AndyCornelissen,

I have a suggestion for you, instead of using formula tool, I would suggest that you use Date Time Now tool (Present in In/Out Section), then append this tool to existing workflow. Whenever you run a workflow, it will update automatically. (Workflow attached)

But while publishing to tableau, you would have to create a new worksheet and using this field in text, you will get exact date in that particular sheet(screen shot attached). then you can use this worksheet, you can show it on your dashboard (Again Screen shot attached).

I have also attached the workflow, for your better understanding.

In case of any further query, feel free to ask.

Workflow:

image.png

Display in Dashboard (screen shot)

image.png

Worksheet screen shot

image.png

AndyCornelissen
5 - Atom

Thank you to you both for the quick responses.  It is great how quickly the community responds on here.  A number people in our user group here have been interested in placing this updated time in the worksheet title (vs a dashboard sheet).  Is there anyway to do that?  They are used to doing this with the "data update time" on their worksheet titles (see screenshot).  I was hoping to deliver them an equivalent.

Again the quick responses were greatly appreciated!

edit title.png

bharti_dalal
10 - Fireball

Hi @AndyCornelissen

To add "Last Updated On:" on your Dashboard, you would have to prepare a new sheet (worksheet) and add it to your dashboard. But if you need to add to your worksheet, you would have to edit in title, as you will not be able to add another worksheet to a worksheet.

For Dashboard, I have already attached the screen shot in my previous answer and for worksheet, the screen shot provided by you is self sufficient.

ThizViz
11 - Bolide

If this method isn't aggregating correctly in worksheet titles, try converting it to an LOD in Tableau. So instead of <Data Update Time> try creating a calculated field called "Last Updated" or something and use the formula {MAX([Date Update Time]}.

@thizviz aka cbridges, Bolide
http://community.alteryx.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/2328
AndyCornelissen
5 - Atom

The LOD command was the piece I hadn't thought of.  Thanks to everyone who posted!

Labels