Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Publish to Tableau Server: Measures becoming Counts instead of Quantities

bchunn01
7 - Meteor

I recently upgraded Alteryx to 19.4,4.20206 and after upgrading some of my tried-and-true work flows changed their behavior.  Specifically, the workflows which have the "Publish to Tableau Server", still work, but now the some of the numeric quantities are being converted to a Quantity(Count), instead of the underlying quantity.  I noted that the numeric type in Alteryx was a "fixed decimal".  To troubleshoot the problem,  I changed some of these in Alterxy to numeric type of  Int64.  Making that change caused them revert back to a quantity, but now they are Dimension instead of a Measure..   Does anyone have experience with this?  Ideally, I'd like to continue using the "Publish to Tableau Server" , and publish quantities that are Measures.  I have a manual work around, but would like to make it auto-magic again. 

4 REPLIES 4
VianneyM
Alteryx
Alteryx

hi @bchunn01,

Are you exporting to a hyper file? It looks like there is a known issue for the new version of Alteryx regarding this topic.  

https://help.alteryx.com/release-notes/designer/designer-20194-release-notes

I recommend to rollback in case you need an urgent solution or wait for the new version that will contain the fix (you can read the release notes to check when the fix is added to the product)

Best,

Vianney

Best,
Vianney
tlarsen7572
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

We ran across the same problem and found the known issue @VianneyM mentions.  In essence, Fixed Decimal are being exported as text.  Rolling back wasn't really feasible for us, so I created a custom tool using the .NET SDK* which converts all Fixed Decimal fields to integer (if the scale is 0) or double.

The tool code is open source, if you are interested I could walk you through how to obtain and install it.

*I actually created it first with the Python SDK, but .NET was faster and we have to process large data files, so I ended up coding the tool twice...

bchunn01
7 - Meteor

Thanks for the information.  I saw it at the very bottom of known issues.   That's helpful. My work around will be to publish as a tde data source until the hyper is working.   That will work for what I'm doing for now.  Thanks so much.

bchunn01
7 - Meteor

Thanks tlarsen7572 for your response.  For what I'm doing, I'm able to use the TDE data source as an alternative to hyper. It gives me a temporary solution.   Impressed that you are able to create that process.

Labels