Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Publish to Tableau Server Macro

mieszczak
7 - Meteor

I'm trying to publish some data sources to Tableau server and am successfully able to publish the data sources to the root project folder but I am not able to publish or update  the data sources within workbooks inside that root project folder.

This is 2 Workbooks within the project "Tableau Demo"

Root.JPG

Below is the root source data that is being updated in the project folder. However I am not able to get into the specific workbook data sources to update them. Is this even possible??

Data Sources.JPG

18 REPLIES 18
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi  Mieszczak,

What you need to do is publish the data sources as you are doing.

You should then open your Tableau workbook in Tableau desktop and swap out the data source to now point at the data source you published using Alteryx and the 'Publish to Tableau Server' macro.

Then re-upload the workbook.

The connection will then be stored in the workbook data sources but will link to the datasource uploaded with Alteryx.

Ben

eristow
7 - Meteor

The Publish to Tableau Server installer seems to be gone from the Publish Gallery.  Does anyone have a copy of it that can be republished?

JessicaS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

hi @eristow,

Please see below for link to installer

https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/Publish-to-Tableau-Server-Tool/599c93c8f499c7141c13a619

EDIT: Link in post updated 11/8/17

Thanks,

Jess Silveri
Manager, Technical Account Management | Alteryx
Lund
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Jessica,

I'm not able to install the "Publish to Tableau Server" tool using the link you've provided. I run the flow, install and restart Alteryx. Nothing happens.

I am using Alteryx 11.3. Can you please help?

Thanks

JessicaS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Lund,

I will check to see if we can provide you an alternative installer.  I've seen one user run into a permissions issue at the run command tool inside the installer. 

If you have a moment to run a quick test it would be helpful to let us know if you are getting a similar error.

To do so, open the installer workflow then go to view > interface designer at the top menu of Alteryx

From there click on the app (aka  magic wand) icon second from top on left menu then click open debug (see image below)

2017-08-02_8-57-37.png

This will open the workflow in debug mode.  Give it a run and let us know you get an error and if so, what the error says.

Thanks! I'll circle back on an alternative installer

Jess Silveri
Lund
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Jessica,

I've tried running in debug mode and no errors came up.

Thanks

JessicaS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Lund

We're looking into an alternative install options.

Did a PublishToTableauServer folder get created in C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\DataProducts\DataSets\Content ?

I've zipped up the macro and included a link here.  You can try unzipping to a folder on your  machine and inserting the macro by right clicking on the canvas and choosing insert>macro.  You can also add a macro search path to tell Alteryx to look in that folder so the macro shows in your tool bar.

If you would like to troubleshoot the install issue further please email us at support@alteryx.com and we will be happy to take a look with you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/otetxmrfrbryzw9/PublishToTableauServer.zip?dl=0

Thanks,

Jess Silveri
Curtis_Johnson
5 - Atom

Link does not work.  When you click on it, it returns Page Not Found

JessicaS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Curtis_Johnson ,

Thanks for letting me know. I've just updated my post above with an updated link.

The link is https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/Publish-to-Tableau-Server-Tool/599c93c8f499c7141c13a619

Thanks,

Jess Silveri
Labels