Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Publish to Tableau Server Macro for incremental loading

pgeorge4
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I am using Publish to Tableau server macro for updating a Tableau data source automatically in server. But within the macro tool I see only "Create data source" or "Overwrite data source" options. Is there any option to incrementally load the data based on the latest date available in the back end data sources.

Regards,

Philip

8 REPLIES 8
JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @pgeorge4

There is a macro which was developed by one of our partners Inviso which has the ability to append.

Here is a video to show the functionality. 

Best,

Jordan Barker

Solutions Consultant

ctthornb
6 - Meteoroid

Excellent! This just made my morning.  Big thanks to the folks at Invisio as I was about to spend my weekend attempting to develop this functionality myself

pgeorge4
7 - Meteor

Hi Jordan,

Thank you for your great support and I have one more query on the publish to Tableau server macro.

I was trying to explore the different options on the publish to Tableau server macro.I could see that the append option is available in the macro.But I have couple of queries.

1)As per our current architecture we load the data to a database table and archive the data. Our Tableau reports are directly connected to the tables. We use report date field to identify the latest data from the table and incrementally load the extracts using the new report dates.In Alteryx macro for publish to tableau can I incrementally load the data based on reportdate field?In the macro i don't see any option to set a condition for loading the data to extracts.

Regards,

philip

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @pgeorge4

No problem at all. 

As this macro isn't supported by Alteryx I am including @danielbrun2 who's company made the macro. He is probably more versed at the inner workings of the tool.

More than likely some logic can be built out before appending occurs looking at your data field. 

Best,

Jordan Barker

Solutions Consultant

danielbrun2
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi,

Please checkout http://inviso.dk/2016/alteryx-tableau-server-append

Best,

Daniel

Andrzej
8 - Asteroid

Dear Daniel,

I cannot see macro used in this video in downloaded package. Please could you let me know where I can find it. 

https://vimeo.com/166366141

Andrzej
8 - Asteroid

I can see only these macros in a package 

Andrzej_0-1581939837193.png

danielbrun2
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi,

The publish to Tableau macro has been removed as it is obsolete. You can download the official one from here: https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/Publish-to-Tableau-Server-Tool/599c93c8f499c7141c13a619

Best regards,

Daniel

Labels