Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Publish to Tableau Server - Improvement/Optimization

AJ_Fournier
5 - Atom

Hi Alteryx Community!

I'm looking for some ideas or recommendations on methods to potentially improve or optimize my use of the Publish to Tableau Server tool.

The problem I'm running into is that I have a couple of large datasets that I have to published on a regular basis to multiple Tableau servers/sites. Best I can tell, and how I've been using it so far, is that each one of these publishes requires its own instance of the tool. Now each tool as part of it's publish process writes the dataset to its own temp file, so I'm writing an exact copy of the same 1.5-2gb temp file for every iteration of the tool. Writing all of the temp files bogs down a process that could probably run considerably faster if it was just focused on the actual publishing.

Ideally I'm trying to find a way to streamline the process a bit by being able to use the same temp file for multiple publishes rather than re-writing it for each one. This could be accomplished either by using the same tool to publish to multiple servers/sites at once, or by setting multiple publish tools to point to an already existing temp file rather than writing its own each run.

I'm fairly competent and experienced with regular workflow tools and methodologies but am not very familiar with some of the tool building/user interface components. I've taken a look behind the scenes at the Publish tool and feel like I understand most of what's going on, but some pieces are still a little abstract to me.

Would any of you folks out there have any ideas for how I might go about accomplishing this, or be able to point me in a direction where I might find some more info to help me figure out how to tackle it on my own?

Thank you!

11 REPLIES 11
Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @AJ_Fournier 

Have you tried saving the dataset into a local .yxdb file, and then, from a new WF use the Tableau Output Tool?

I tried this, and it's faster than the Publish to Tableau Server Tool.

priyaarisetti
7 - Meteor

I see only publish to Tableau server tool. May i know what is this Tableau Output Tool.

priyaarisetti
7 - Meteor

Thank You. I am testing it now.

I would like to append 5 yxdb file to the Published tableau Datasource. I am able to achieve this with "Publish to Tableau Server" Tool. But not able append Parallelly. how can achieve this? Any thoughts please.

Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Not really sure, but most likely you can't.

Just out of curiosity, why don't you Union the 5 files and make just only one append?

priyaarisetti
7 - Meteor

single file is never success because its huge. Around 30 million data.

Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

It shouldn't... Maybe there are some infraestructure issues that avoid that single file update succeed.

What kind of problems are you facing trying to update from a single file?

priyaarisetti
7 - Meteor

please find the screenshot. After some time it will throw an error of timeout.

priyaarisetti
7 - Meteor

priyaarisetti_0-1669902169270.png

Labels