Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Publish to Tableau Server, Error after upgrade to Tableau Server 9.2

gene_denny
8 - Asteroid

This morning, we updated our Tableau Server to 9.2 and now each time I attempt to run my workflow, i get an error message on that tool.  Nothing has changed in the workflow itself, although I had noticed that, prior to the update, the workflow appeared to complete successfully but I was unable to locate the .tde files on the server.  So, I guess I have two issues for which I am hoping someone can assist:

1.  When successfully running a workflow including the Publish to Tableau Server tool, where do I find the .tde files that I thought would be created?  I can't repoint my Tableau viz to that datasource without being able to locate it.

2.  What has changed with the update to Tableau Server 9.2 that prevents my workflow from now completing?  This is the error returned:

TableauServer.Log in: Tool #4 Tableau Server API Request (Sign-in) Error Code 400000: Bad Request -- Payload is either malformed XML or incomplete.

13 REPLIES 13
dataMack
12 - Quasar

Do you still have a Tableau Server running on 9.0 or 9.1 in a different environment that you could test your workflow against?  That should help narrow down the issue to being either on the Tableau side or the Alteryx side - I'm assuming its the former, but I don't have any environments on 9.2 yet so cant test.

gene_denny
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the response, Jason.  I only have the 9.2 environment.  Of course, Tableau is stating that they feel this is on the Alteryx side.  All I know is that it was fine before the update, and now is not.

gene_denny
8 - Asteroid

Has anyone been able to successfully use the Publish to Tableau Server tool with Tableau Server 9.2?  Alteryx Support is working hard on this as well, but we're coming up totally empty thus far.  I consistently get a malformed XML error, even with the simplest of data sets.  It also is unable to refresh the Projects list, rendering the same error.

Something's fishy.  Any ideas appreciated!

Error.JPG

gene_denny
8 - Asteroid

FYI--This turned out to be an issue with the Publish to Tableau Server tool.  At the same time we upgraded to Tableau Server 9.2, we were required to update our Active Directory passwords to include non alpha numeric symbols.  The Publish to Tableau Server tool was not prepared to handle symbols.  Alteryx was all over this issue for me and has updated the tool for all.  They sent the installer directly to me and works like a charm.  Shoutout to Alteryx support on this one!  Kept me in the loop the entire time.

JamieD
Alteryx
Alteryx

Does anyone have a link to the latest version of the tool (that includes the fix)? The one on the public gallery https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/Publish-to-Tableau-Server--Installer-/565b9ed8aa690a1254265b9c has not been updated for 3 months and is still getting the error.

publish to tableau.png

andrewdatakim
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

I am not sure if there is a newer version but depending on your environment you might be able to use the “Events” in the workflow configuration to use Tabcmd. I used it prior to running the marco. Let me know if you need some direction on how. Some of it is explained in this post http://insightsthroughdata.com/how-to-automate-data-refresh-operations-to-tableau-server-with-altery...

JamieD
Alteryx
Alteryx

Thanks for your response Andrew but I was refering to Paul's comment: "Alteryx was all over this issue for me and has updated the tool for all". The fix doesn't appear to be in the latest version of the tool on the gallery however.

gene_denny
8 - Asteroid

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  Here is the revised tool that was sent to me by Support.  Worked perfect for me.

JamieD
Alteryx
Alteryx

Thanks Paul!

Labels