Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Publish to Power BI --- breaks linked Power BI report (append / create / replace)

deXtron
5 - Atom

I'm successfully pushing data from Alteryx to PowerBI. Here's my issue:

The Power BI Output tool has 3 options:

1. Append rows to table - adds duplicate records to my report
  2. Create new dataset - creates a new dataset (samename_#), which isn't linked to a report
  3. Replace existing dataset - breaks connection to the report (dataset cannot be found --- may have been deleted

I would like to schedule Alteryx to push updated data to my dataset and when I look at it's report, I have updated data. 

Is there a better option, maybe even with Power BI?

Thanks,

deX

3 REPLIES 3
PhilippK
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @deXtron ,

unfortunately, there is currently no option to update the target data set in PowerBi (only replace, append or create a new one).

It is already addressed internally.

I have two workarounds for you:

a) Write the data from Alteryx not directly to PowerBI, but into a database. Then refresh your PowerBI dashboard via the database. In case this is not an option for you:

b) create an additional "flag" column [e.g. timestamp with the formula DateTimeNow() ] in PowerBI - filter on the latest timestamp, only

I hope this helps you.

Best regards

Phil

hornungr
7 - Meteor

We'd like to see Alteryx enhanced to support this more seamlessly.  I've added it as an idea here:

Fix Power BI Output tool to reload an existing dataset without invalidating reports and dashboards

VojtechT
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi everyone, I am very pleased to announce that the new version of the Power BI connector has been released and can be downloaded from our Gallery

The new version lets you select a workspace you want to work with, supports multiple multiple tables in a dataset, lets you overwrite, update, append or upsert data without breaking your dashboards and work in environments with proxy server as well. 

The most recent Alteryx Designer and Server, i.e. the 2021.2 version, is required. 

Vojta, PM for Data Connectors

Vojta T., PM for Data Connectors
Try our Beta data connectors at https://bit.ly/3Ae8HgY
Labels