Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Publish To Tableau Server Macro Mod Needed

Craig_Fyfe
5 - Atom

Has anyone modified the Publish to Tableau Server macro so the login/verification happens as late as possible instead of at the beginning?  I currently have an issue with my job timing out as it takes more than the 4 hours that Tableau Server has for connection timeout to complete running.

A teammate found an old "hit" showing how to modify the macro but the instructions appear to be for an older version of the macro.

This might be something that could/should be changed permanently in this macro for everyone.

Thanks in advance for your help.

5 REPLIES 5
cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar

I'd be more worried that the workflow takes more than 4 hrs 😮 , but you could change the logic around and NOT get Alteryx to update the extract, but get Tableau to update the extract at the end.

Craig_Fyfe
5 - Atom

Yes, creating a .hyper file and then using the Tableau scheduled processes to update is a backup option but seems like an unnecessary step.

cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar

I understand what you mean, and it depends on the size of your extracts.  For "small" extracts then Publish to Tableau is a great choice, it's in the flow and works well.  For "large" extracts having to move all the data around purely to then copy it to Tableau just takes too long.  Obviously "small" and "large" depend on your measurements, but I rarely use the macro now because the datasets I'm working with are too large and the macro just takes too long (and sometimes fails - maybe because of this), where firing the refresh on the Tableau side feels a lot more clean and efficient.

YMMV 🙂 

mst3k
11 - Bolide

i suppose you could do everything before tableau in one workflow, save the data to a yxdb, then make a new workflow that just loads that file and pushes it to tableau? then you could do a list runner macro to chain them so the 2nd one kicks off after the first finishes. then it shouldn't bother doing anything against tableau til the very end?

shaingrimm1
5 - Atom

THis would still be good to have the updated configuration shown.  I was directed to the 2016 article and the macro setup has changed significantly since then.

Labels