Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Provide variable path name for Input and Output

harshendra
8 - Asteroid

Is there a way to pass variables into inputs and outputs?

Eg. for Nov 2019 I wish to take input from the directory O:\Reporting\2019-11\Inputs

How can this be done in Alteryx?

14 REPLIES 14
Raj_2
8 - Asteroid

I assume you are looking to join two set of input, you could you a join tool. Could you share some sample input and sample output can share youa a sample work flow

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @harshendra.,

It sounds as though you're looking for a file browse or folder browse tool, which is contained in the interface tool palette. This combined with an action tool can be used to affect input and output locations.

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know!

Regards,

Jonathan

harshendra
8 - Asteroid

Hi Jonathan,

I am looking for either of the two. I wish to go to the folder that represents the current month and pick up file present there. Can you share a workflow that can do this?

For November, I would like to direct the input files from O:\2019-11\Input Files

Would be great if you can share a workflow to get files from the above mentioned folder where '2019-11' is dynamic.

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Which files would sit in the "O:\2019-11\Input Files" folder?

harshendra
8 - Asteroid

There may be multiple. but want to pick the one with similar name as used in folder directory.

Say I wish to pick 'O:\2019-11\Input Files\2019-11.xlsx' where 2019-11 is variable.

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Does your scheme / structure change between files?

harshendra
8 - Asteroid

No Jonathan, it will be same.

I just want to be able to direct to the particular folder and file while the workflow is run. Can be done using user input or system date time.

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Sounds like a job for the dynamic input tool along side the text interface tool. All you need to do is add in a template schema (file) into the dynamic input. The text input tool helps to create the file path and file name inside the formula tool, the dynamic input tool then takes this file path and reads it in.

image.png

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know! I've attached my workflow for you to download if needed.

Regards,

Jonathan

harshendra
8 - Asteroid

Sorry to bug you again.

I used the dynamic input (I wasn't aware there was any such thing).

I got the following error with dynamic input. Used same file for template as well as input.

File_Input: Dynamic Input (7): O:\2019-11\Input Files\2019-11.xlsx|0 records were read from "O:\2019-11\Input Files\2019-11.xlsx" (`ALT$`) (limit reached).

Dynamic Input template (also tried with change entire file path):

harshendra_0-1573819707461.png

Filter:

harshendra_1-1573819759571.png

Text Input:

harshendra_2-1573819789952.png

Log with Dynamic input vs Input

harshendra_3-1573819865633.png

Labels