Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Programmatic Job Execution

Wii
6 - Meteoroid

hi hi, a poor worker here want to know how to do Programmatic Job Execution without Server(only designer)?

I wonder if there are some ways can do that?

Wii_0-1655977652813.png

(P.S. I know how servers do it, and I know that designers can be implemented with automated scripts that can be done to simulate a mouse and keyboard.)

hope to get your reply~Thanks~

4 REPLIES 4
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Unfortunately if you try to run a job from any kind of a command execution or api without the proper licensing you will get an error.  

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

You could purchase the Windows Scheduler feature to use with a Designer license, possibly avoiding the need for the server.

Search this message board for "windows scheduler".

Here's a related post: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Poormans-Scheduler/td-p/60700

Not sure if something like UIPath (simulated mouse/keyboard) would work, or if you could use the Windows Task Scheduler with a command-line call to Alteryx: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Task_Scheduler

Chris

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I can confirm Windows Task Scheduler works, but I think you still have to have to have a license since Windows Task Scheduler will still call the "AlteryxEngineCmd.exe" and that's what gives the error is the api or server license isn't activated.  But you can try!

Wii
6 - Meteoroid

thank you both!

All four methods in my question require a server license.

@mbarone is right. without server, you cannot run workflow with command line.

@ChrisTX I've automated the operation of alterx workflows (simulated mouse/keyboard)(python and uipath two ways), and it do work.

but while running ,you cannot lock the screen while running, and must keep remote connection alive.(cannot run in the background).

This is so inconvenient and unfriendly because the whole process takes several hours.

So I wonder if there is any other way to achieve it?

Hope to get your reply!

Thanks!

Labels