Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Processing 1.5 Billion records with Designer

grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hello community,

I have been doing some tests with the Designer and BigData lately.

It seems that a great amount of RAM can help to increase the processing speed but CPU doesn't. 

grossal_0-1584886842620.png

I have 10 core (20 logic cores), but the CPU usage is always around 10-15% (peaks at 20%). The RAM on the other side takes as much as I allow him to used (set to 105 GB right now).

My two questions are:

1) Is it possible to enable the Designer to make us of more cores?

2) Would a server make use of more cores? (for a single workflow)

(We have server at work, but I don't want to push 1.5B records to the server if it isn't faster)

Thanks in advance

Alex

3 REPLIES 3
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

hi @grossal 

Check out the answer from @KevinP in this post.  He explains the whys and wherefores about the multi-threading strategy in Alteryx.  The post is from 2016 but I think the concepts are still valid.  tl:dr The Alteryx engine multi-threads where it makes sense to.

Dan 

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@grossal ,

RAM and fast local SSD are your best bet. If you joine the beta program (https://betaprogram.alteryx.com) there is a e2 beta that multi-threads. 

cheers,

mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Thanks @MarqueeCrew and @danilang.

I would have loved an option to force it to multi-threading and give the user the chance to decide it.

I have requested access to the Beta on my Partner Account over two month ago, no sign yet. I would love to test it. Especially with my QM background and all the bugs I already found in the 2020.1 it would haven been a good addition, but I guess I have to wait.

Have a great day guys!

Alex

Labels