Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Process Steps after Using Output tool

Muralisagar
8 - Asteroid

I have a process where I need to import data from a database and copy that into an existing excel template & run Excel Macro

I have used output tool to copy data into the template, do I need to create a separate process to run the Macro

please advise

2 REPLIES 2
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Muralisagar,

This is the article that can help you with running the macro from Alteryx:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Alteryx-Run-Command-Executing-Excel...

What I would suggest is start testing it but I believe you can run this in the same workflow using block until done tool.

Use block until done so you will not start a cmd that runs the macro before the output is saved.

Please see article below to find out how to use block until done tool:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Output-a-file-and-re-input-it-withi...

Good luck!

gsantos
7 - Meteor

Hi @Muralisagar , thanks for reaching out

If I got it right you need to run an excel macro after copying the data into the spreadsheet, is that so?

If that's the case and assuming we're talking about a VBA Macro, what I would do is:

1- Use the Block Until Done tool before the output to ensure this will be the first step.

2- Create a script to run your Excel Macro, this article is pretty useful.

3-Use the Run Command Tool in the anchor #2 of your block until done tool tool to run your script file, or even a batch opening the script. This other article right here can help you out on this one,

Hope it helps, and feel free to reach if you need further assistance with this.

Labels