Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Problem with Excel output file

Chelseaa
7 - Meteor

Hi all, 

I am currently using Alteryx to generate my Excel report (both input and output files are excel (.xlsx) )

and after the data is generated to 'Sheet1' , i used the data from 'Sheet1' to create a pivot table in another tab, 'Sheet2'. 

Under my output tool, my settings is being set as below: 

Chelseaa_0-1606229587122.png

so everytime after i run Alteryx and overwrite 'Sheet1', i will open my file and refresh the pivot table on 'Sheet2'

However, sometimes, after running Alteryx and my attempt to open the excel file, i get this error message:

Chelseaa_1-1606229919226.png

and if i click "yes"

Chelseaa_2-1606230009420.png

Does anyone know why this happens and what can be done to avoid this? i realise this happens when i have an Excel formula in the Output excel file. eg. vlookup

There was once my pivot table was removed (not only Calculation properties)

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
Per
11 - Bolide

Hi @Chelseaa,

This does not really solve your issue, but in general I would suggest to keep Excel input and output in separate files. This way you ensure that a file is not locked by Excel when generating data and creating pivots at the same time. Excel files are notorious for getting corrupted if you push them around a bit 😉

Chelseaa
7 - Meteor

hi @Per 

Thanks for your suggestion, i forgot to mention that my input and output files are actually different files 🙂

Per
11 - Bolide

Ah 🙂

But try, if feasible, to split the Alteryx output (sheet1) and the pivot table (sheet2) into seperate files as well. So three files in total. While I am not sure that will solve the issue, it will at least rule out one point of failure

AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I've never tried it, but have you tried the content of this blog?

Excel Templates with Blob Tools

https://intersectionsandoverlaps.wordpress.com/2019/09/27/alteryx-excel-templates-with-blob-tools/

Labels