Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Problem with Excel output file

Chelseaa
7 - Meteor

Hi all, 

I am currently using Alteryx to generate my Excel report (both input and output files are excel (.xlsx) )

and after the data is generated to 'Sheet1' , i used the data from 'Sheet1' to create a pivot table in another tab, 'Sheet2'. 

Under my output tool, my settings is being set as below: 

Chelseaa_0-1606229587122.png

so everytime after i run Alteryx and overwrite 'Sheet1', i will open my file and refresh the pivot table on 'Sheet2'

However, sometimes, after running Alteryx and my attempt to open the excel file, i get this error message:

Chelseaa_1-1606229919226.png

and if i click "yes"

Chelseaa_2-1606230009420.png

Does anyone know why this happens and what can be done to avoid this? i realise this happens when i have an Excel formula in the Output excel file. eg. vlookup

There was once my pivot table was removed (not only Calculation properties)

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
Per
11 - Bolide

Hi @Chelseaa,

This does not really solve your issue, but in general I would suggest to keep Excel input and output in separate files. This way you ensure that a file is not locked by Excel when generating data and creating pivots at the same time. Excel files are notorious for getting corrupted if you push them around a bit 😉

Chelseaa
7 - Meteor

hi @Per 

Thanks for your suggestion, i forgot to mention that my input and output files are actually different files 🙂

Per
11 - Bolide

Ah 🙂

But try, if feasible, to split the Alteryx output (sheet1) and the pivot table (sheet2) into seperate files as well. So three files in total. While I am not sure that will solve the issue, it will at least rule out one point of failure

AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I've never tried it, but have you tried the content of this blog?

Excel Templates with Blob Tools

https://intersectionsandoverlaps.wordpress.com/2019/09/27/alteryx-excel-templates-with-blob-tools/

Labels