Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Problem in joining two tables

Ekta
8 - Asteroid

Hi Frnds,

I have 2 input tables attached,

i want to join two tables so the value in second table finds the match in first table and append the data .

when i am doing this , my total number of records are increasing way too much in output .

input has 175 records and output has 6563 records .

Please let me know the right workflow

input and output are attached.workflowworkflowrecordsrecords

5 REPLIES 5
JoeM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

What you have is what we in the 'biz' call a multi-dimensional join. If Input 1 has 10 IDs that are 16164 and Input 2 has 20 IDs that are 16164, and you join them together, your computer is not quite sure what belongs where. As a result, each of your 10 identical IDs in inpur 1 will each be assigned the 20 records in input 2, resulting in 200 joined records! If you find your records growing in a join, look for this behavior. 

What you should try doing is going to input data 2, make sure that instead of 20 idential IDs, they are all unique. Hence the unique tool in my solution! Check it out! 

I also added afun trick join if your ever wanted to join by position which worked in this case as well (but probably won't in real life).

Ekta
8 - Asteroid

Hi, 

Thanks a lot for the workflow, but when i tried opening it .. this gave me an error saying need to upgrade the version as workflow is created on new version.

Is there any way to open the workflow without upgrade?

Also i have created multiple workflow in my current Alteryx, can they work on new version?

Thanks

ponraj
13 - Pulsar

Sample workflow

Problem in joining two tables.PNG

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

hi @Ekta

To change the version of the workflow 

1. find the version of your version of Alteryx .  go to Help->About and make note of the version number

Version.png 

2.  open the .yxmd file in notepad and look for the yxmdVer node near the top

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<AlteryxDocument yxmdVer="2018.4">
  <Nodes>
    <Node ToolID="20">

3. change the version to match yours and save the file.  just use the major revision number

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<AlteryxDocument yxmdVer="2018.3">
  <Nodes>
    <Node ToolID="20">

You should be able to open it now.   It should run with no problems

In general, workflows are forward compatible, unless you use deprecated tools which may not be supported  

Dan

Ekta
8 - Asteroid

Thanks a lot :)

Labels