Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Problem : Text Being Trucated on Import, How to Prevent Automatic Truncation from CSV XLS

alex_Intellese
6 - Meteoroid

Hello, I have a file im trying to import a file that has a field description which can be pretty long in some cases. essentially its a extracted clause from a legal document That I need to keep in it entirety for a import into a XML system.

I have tried everything in the forum, changing it from CSV to XML or TEXT file but still Alteryx auto truncates the text. Ive tried all the different data types V_String V_WString, Forced etc. with no avail....

the main issue with this is as im trying to export the XML casings at the end it cuts off any text past the limit.

Please help, this could be a major problem if alteryx can handle large text fields on import. seems like a issue that should have been addressed many versions ago..

2 REPLIES 2
marcusblackhill
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hey @alex_Intellese !

Try to import the file as "FLAT file" and in the configuration screen mark the option "Allow long lines". That way alteryx don't will break columns using delimiters but you can do it by yourself after you did the data input that way.

Hope that help you!

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @alex_Intellese 

The text isn't being actually being truncated, it's just the display of the text in the results window.  If you double click on one of the LongLegal values in the columns it will open it up in cell viewer, where you can see all the text

danilang_0-1616173474481.png

For csv files though, there is an option to limit the field length on input.  By default this is set 254 chars but you can increase it to a large number to ensure that you get all the data

Dan

Labels