Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Principal Components Analysis / Batch Macro

robsuddaby
7 - Meteor

I've created a control parameter based batch macro to run a PCA analysis based upon 2 fields which change depending on certain parameters. However, if I feed in 10 fields it returns me 100 records (10x10) and takes ~30s to run. I can summarise the data afterwards and get the results I want no problem but running the actual PCA tool against 1 set of parameters will return my 10 records in 2s with the same results... however, I actually need to run ~35k records in my live scenario so the macro is not feasible.

I've tried toying with Control GroupBy and Control Parameter Batch Macros but neither seem to work the way I want; which is essentially to group my PCA analysis (containing say 10 records) by my 2 fields (which can be combined into 1 for ease if needs be). Any thoughts? 

2 REPLIES 2
dsmdavid
11 - Bolide

Hi Rob, 
I'm a bit confused with what are your expectations here for the batch macro, so maybe my answer doesn't make a lot of sense.

As I see the workflow right now, you're feeding...
1. 10 rows of data.

2. 10 rows to field1 (all with a value = 9).

3. 10 rows to field2 (all with value = type).

The outcome of that is that you have 10 x 10 iterations (10 field1 x 10 field2), all of them running with the same values, so they're identical.

An alternative could be to split the feed of data & parameters, for instance having a group by immediately before the control parameter:

dsmdavid_0-1594404641509.png

I've modified the macro to include the value of the fields used to debug in the attached wf.

robsuddaby
7 - Meteor

Thanks very much David, I did not realise you can 'fiddle' with the inputs to a batch macro - very neat and simple solution! 

Labels