Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Primary Key Required for Update Option

RonGatmaitan
8 - Asteroid

Hi all,

I have an Alteryx workflow that reads data from one MySQL database, processes it, and then inserts to another MySQL database using the Output Data tool. I set the Output Options to Update; Insert if New, so that it will update the record, just in case it already exists. I kept getting this Primary Key Required for Update Option, so I defined the necessary primary keys. In MySQL, EACH primary key has to be unique. My keys are a combination, so I Googled and found that, to define multiple fields as unique, you have to add indexes, so I did. I don't think Alteryx recognizes this, though, as it is still looking for the keys.

Last time I addressed this, I added an update date which had a timestamp value, so that it was sure to be unique. Any other way I can do this without adding the timestamp?

I own the database it is written to so, I can make the necessary changes, if necessary.

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
chukleswk
11 - Bolide

I have started creating a unique record key for every row of data that I'm loading. This is done by concatenating each field together and then converting it to a hash using MD5_UNICODE([Record_Key]). I have attached the flow that I often use for this.

The upside is that I can use this key to identify whether a field has changed in a record (if you have another record key such as a unique ID).

RonGatmaitan
8 - Asteroid

Thank you very much, @chukleswk! Will have a look.

So no option of not adding a key, right?

chukleswk
11 - Bolide

If you've already created the table and set primary keys (even with multiple columns) Alteryx will recognize those columns as having keys. 

I built a test table using the following: SQL Primary Key and was able to get Alteryx to recognize both the ID and the lastname as a primary key:

Capture.PNG

Labels